Squalicorax tooth, quality and coloration?

Mochaccino

Hello,

I'm looking at this shark tooth for sale, which is listed as Squalicorax bassani from the Phosphate beds of Morocco (scale in cm). I quite trust the seller and as far as I can tell it looks to be the correct species based on a cursory search.

870168794_ScreenShot2022-01-30at9_27_53PM.thumb.png.cf19f3c9481a8c2df5cba49ab4b80e98.png

1190385013_ScreenShot2022-01-30at9_35_52PM.thumb.png.98c5b059148b5e158afce9e6189bf1c4.png

However since I am a complete rookie to teeth and have never bought any before, I wanted to ask for a confirmation on the species, and ask how is the quality? Is it good/medium/bad? The other S. bassani teeth I see don't usually have this reddish brown coloration, rather they are ivory/black and shiny, compared to this one appearing rough and grainy. Any idea why that is?

Thanks.

Edited by Mochaccino

The tooth is Squalicorax bassanii. The tooth is all original and in good condition. Coloration sometimes varies depending on which quarry the tooth originated from. 

Here is another example for comparison. 

tumblr_083bb8ca29edbe6faa539268aef2c291_e620921f_540.jpg

12 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

The tooth is Squalicorax bassanii. The tooth is all original and in good condition. Coloration sometimes varies depending on which quarry the tooth originated from. 

Here is another example for comparison. 

tumblr_083bb8ca29edbe6faa539268aef2c291_e620921f_540.jpg

Thank you. Would you say it is in good condition despite the apparent vertical cracks down the middle? The example you posted is a lovely pink color and without cracks, so would that be a much higher-quality example?

Edited by Mochaccino

17 minutes ago, Mochaccino said:

Thank you. Would you say it is in good condition despite the apparent vertical cracks down the middle? The example you posted is a lovely pink color and without cracks, so would that be a much higher-quality example?

Quality is a personal opinion. The cracks you are referring to are areas where the enamel is splitting. It is common in shark teeth. 

17 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

Quality is a personal opinion. The cracks you are referring to are areas where the enamel is splitting. It is common in shark teeth. 

I see, so natural for these fossils. Could I ask for a comparison? Here is another listing titled "Rare top quality" Squalicorax bassani teeth from Morocco:

image.thumb.png.aa3e5d6b84fb1baf237f5ccf099b2eb1.png

Is this title accurate, and are these perhaps in better condition? It says their average size is 1 inch (~2.5cm). To my inexperienced eye they look like cleaner, glossier teeth compared to the first example I posted.

Edited by Mochaccino

Quality is subjective and means different things to different people. Some look for size, others glossy enamel. 

7 minutes ago, Mochaccino said:

Here is another listing titled "Rare top quality" Squalicorax bassani teeth from Morocco:

One thing to be careful of is that these sorts of listings usually have pictures of the best specimens in the group. The teeth in the advertisement may not be representative of what you receive. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

Quality is subjective and means different things to different people. Some look for size, others glossy enamel. 

One thing to be careful of is that these sorts of listings usually have pictures of the best specimens in the group. The teeth in the advertisement may not be representative of what you receive. 

I see, thank you very much for the advice and ID help.