Baby shark...verts

Lone Hunter

I wonder if the baby shark song made outside the US, it's been stuck in my head since last night when I found the smaller of the 2 vertebra.  Amazing I even spotted it,  pretty sure the larger one is shark?  Can anyone tell if tiny one is fish or shark?  I'm trying to picture something so small,  which shark could have babies so small?  Could some shark vertebra be from babies still in egg sac?  These were found in Eagle Ford, Cretaceous, the dark ruler is in mm.

IMG_20220131_012941627.jpg

IMG_20220131_195830995.jpg

IMG_20220131_200248471~2.jpg

IMG_20220131_200126228~2.jpg

I can't help you much with the ID, but my wife and I have been known to sing that song when finding tiny shark teeth and verts as well. :heartylaugh:

• Enjoyed 1

Are these from Post Oak? I've pulled like a hundred of them out of my micro-matrix, they're quite common there. Could be baby, could be shark, definitely cartilaginous fish. I assume (only based on abundance of teeth) that many I find are likely Ptychotrygon vertebrae or some other Sclerorhynchoidei.

2 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Even large sharks will have small centra at the tips of their tails.

Great piece of information. Never would have thought of that.

• I found this Informative 1

The larger of the 2 is from Post Oak, the small one came from creek in the metroplex where I find most of my fossils.