Peace River, February 7th.

Shellseeker

Last night I was discussing going Hunting today with an old friend, who is more susceptible to cold than I am. It might not seem cold to you, but starting at 6 am the temperatures ranges from 58 degrees F up to a max of 73 degrees. It was to be partially sunny which usually means about 25% of the time. If you are standing in water and the wind picks up, I might start shivering in a 7 mm wetsuit.

Why we we go out today.. Tomorrow and Wednesday are raining almost all day and the rest of the week have lower temps.

We decided to go to a location that used to have numerous Black on Black Megs... maybe there were a few left....

We tried hunting for 3-4 hours... evidently many others had sought those Megs also,  there were bomb craters and discard piles everywhere. My technique was to avoid the discard piles and leverage the deep holes that some strong fossil hunter had dug for me. 1) Dig deeper than he did  !!!! or shovel through a side wall in the discard pile to reach undug gravel.  Not all that successful,, about 5 small shark teeth per shovel, many broken or worn.

We kept on moving... probing for gravel that contains mammal fossils.. Took a break for lunch, and realized we were running out of time because the wind was picking up ...

One thing that I have always thought is that it only takes ONE lightening strike fossil to make a great day... a successful day. Power of positive thinking,  or maybe I am just lucky !!!

At 1 pm, my friend moves upstream, probing and probing and finally after 5 hours, a couple of small Megs... and then a nice 2 inch lower Mako --- YES.  I positioned myself downstream and same distance off the bank. In the 1st seive,  a nice Dillo osterderm, and a couple of larger tigers ... Now we are in business !!!!,  Next sieve ... nothing !!! Rats.... and then in the 3rd sieve a small posterior black on Black Meg.... big smile ,  big smile and Eureka !!!!... 5 inches above and to the left of the Meg,  a lightening strike !!!!

DireWolfCarnassial.thumb.jpg.dca227d4b2451175dd9aad6075c736c4.jpg

15 minutes later, we left and stopped at Wendys for the hot Chilli... Great Hunting trip.. long to be remembered.

• Enjoyed 15

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

WOW!! Awesome find Jack.  :thumbsu:
Thanks for sharing.  Way to brave the chilly weather…I love when fortune favors the brave. 

Great find, Jack! The Peace produces in spite of the landmines. My February trip to Florida was to take place this week. Due to slow progress on my ankle healing, our trip is postponed until April. Looks like this was a blessing in disguise with the weather forecast for the area. 

Mike

Great find Jack!

and buckeye, the weather this week sucks to be frank.  Hoping your ankle gets better but you missed a good week not to be in Florida 

• I found this Informative 1

Great find Jack. I think it’s more about your dedication than just positive thinking! I am planning a visit to the river Friday.

• I Agree 1

12 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Do we still get to see the other finds? :popcorn:

It always takes me time to sort and photo,  and new acquisitions have to wait their turn (behind other hunting days finds)... but

Went back and took photos of one of these Black on Black Megs that I was seeking this trip... I think I found this specific one in the early fall, 2017... and in subsequent returns to the same spot, found about 125 similar ones.

2017Black_on_Black_PeaceRiverMeg.JPG.25ca4653dfa91ef3a9a3fc565619274a.JPG

Here is a photo of all that I picked up.. Not a lot for 6 hours of digging, but the ending was spectacular

IMG_4200.thumb.JPEG.64e85913b7a78d82606e7b69e997babb.JPEG

On the left, 6 little Megs, some hiding with the small teeth.  The one I discuss in the same sieve with the Carnassial is pretty nice.

LittlePosterior.JPG.cac61b5726822e98edc5bd1969f9a8f3.JPG

• Enjoyed 7
  • Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Jack, Great stuff! Avoid shivering...I wasnt even in the water and have run into that problem a couple mornings outside over the past month or so. 

Regards, Chris