Could you help identify these 4 items?

Sandfossil

These items were found in some rock brought in from a local quarry. I am in Muskogee, Ok. I still need help with formations. Someone kindly posted a link to a geological site with formations but didn't know what to do or how to apply that information to my specimens.  

#1 appears to have four different types of plant or bark. Two on each side with what appears to be some shells or sea life forms in between.

#2 Is just super cool looking to me. Don't know what they are. 

#3 is what appears to be an imprint of a plant or tree. It was suggested cycad?

#4 is small tiny black dots.

Took pictures with better phone. Will you let me know if you can see the pictures better on your viewing end?

As always thank you so much.

20220207_114947.jpg

20220207_114322.jpg

20220207_114439.jpg

Screenshot_20220207-114721_Gallery.jpg

20220207_114653.jpg

20220207_114841.jpg

20220207_113140.jpg

20220207_113008.jpg

20220207_113529.jpg

20220207_113109.jpg

20220207_113626.jpg

20220207_114021.jpg

20220207_113931.jpg

20220207_112311.jpg

20220207_112134.jpg

20220207_112536.jpg

20220207_112855.jpg

20220207_113804.jpg

20220207_113841.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Can't help with the obvious fossils but #2 looks like conglomerate with abundant rounded rip up clasts.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

45 minutes ago, Plax said:

Can't help with the obvious fossils but #2 looks like conglomerate with abundant rounded rip up clasts.

I will look into " clasts". Thank you for your input.

56 minutes ago, Plax said:

My thought on this one is that the elongate brown ovals could be something akin to palm roots but I'd think they'd be a bit more uniform in size and orientation.

https://www.google.com/search?q=palm+roots&tbm=isch

We don't have fossils in Florida that date back to the Carboniferous but your items do remind me of things found at Mazon Creek so it looks like you have some Carboniferous fossil material. Pretty nice of them to drop off fossils from a local quarry. :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=fossils+lepidodendron&tbm=isch

There are others here on the forum who know their Carboniferous material here very well so hopefully they'll see this soon and reply.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, digit said:

My thought on this one is that the elongate brown ovals could be something akin to palm roots but I'd think they'd be a bit more uniform in size and orientation.

https://www.google.com/search?q=palm+roots&tbm=isch

Thank you that is very interesting. I did see a cross section piece from fossileria and I can see what your talking about. I have some palm wood just not any root. That would be nice if it was

Thanks again for looking and giving me some more things to look up.

Cyndi

2 hours ago, digit said:

Numbers 2 and 4 I have no idea. Number 1 has what looks like Calamites sp. (the parts with the long striations) and assorted wood debris. Number 3 looks very much like Lepidodendron aculateum.

Both are quite likely to be Carboniferous material.

NIce finds -- and delivered?

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Interesting rocks! I Love the colors and pattern of #2 which appears to be a conglomerate.

I looked in my fossil book and #3 resembles Lepidodendron a plant fossil from the Carb. period also found in Oklahoma.

• Thank You 1

11 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

NIce finds -- and delivered?

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I think they are all pretty neat. Got some more goodies tonight and some more pieces of #2 might get some better looks at those red conglomerate " clasts" looking things.

And yes it was delivered. About 80 tons.

20220208_164223.jpg

On 2/8/2022 at 12:45 PM, Bronzviking said:

Interesting rocks! I Love the colors and pattern of #2 which appears to be a conglomerate.

I looked in my fossil book and #3 resembles Lepidodendron a plant fossil from the Carb. period also found in Oklahoma.

Thank you. #2 is my favorite of the group. I appreciate you looking it up in your book.  I found one that is similar by my pond this summer.I''ll post a pic.

20220208_205642.jpg

11 hours ago, Sandfossil said:

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I think they are all pretty neat. Got some more goodies tonight and some more pieces of #2 might get some better looks at those red conglomerate " clasts" looking things.

And yes it was delivered. About 80 tons.

20220208_164223.jpg

Wow that's a lot of cool rocks! What are you going to do with them.... Landscaping?

#2 - puddingstone

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Nice rock pile and finds! Agree with the others on the ID's for the most part, except for #4. I dont think thats palm and get the feeling that those spherical areas are mineralogic...possibly with an organic origin.  Not sure what they are but....

#1 seems to have all kinds of goodies! The one side that has what appears to a very thin black coal layer still on it seems to have oval leaf scars within vertical lines so I wondering if that might be something other than Lepidodendron...and might be a Sigillaria...another similar early treeform. 

Have fun looking for more stuff!

Regards, Chris 

22 hours ago, abyssunder said:

#2 - puddingstone

I don't think puddingstone is found in this area unless the Rocks were brought in from the Great Lakes region.

32 minutes ago, Bronzviking said:

I don't think puddingstone is found in this area unless the Rocks were brought in from the Great Lakes region.

There are many different varieties and colors of puddingstone. Google it and check the Wikipedia listing for photos and info. The puddingstone in the Great Lakes area is actually glacial erratics from further north.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!