8 replies to this topic

#1 TourmalineGuy

TourmalineGuy

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:51 PM

Will the ever generous fossil forum grant me another wish and give me some advice on the following fossils?

I know they're not all identifiable (probably #2 and maybe #3), but I do have some questions.

These are all from the Peace River of Florida, so they can be Miocene Marine or Miocene-Pleistocene Land. Or at least that's the most likely, who knows, #1 looks suspiciously like a trilobite... :P (<---this means I'm just kidding)

Onto the fossils:

#1: I am posting this one because both sides have a ring on them, its in pretty bad shape. I thought at first it may be a vertebra, but it doesn't look like any I know or have seen. Plus, the disk-shaped sides aren't nearly as regular as most vertebra. Any ideas out there?
Unknown1.jpg

#2: This is almost certainly an osteoderm or scute, but I don't have great references and I can't figure out exactly to what... The pattern looks a lot like turtle shell, but I haven't seen a piece quite like this.
Unknown2.jpg

#3: This little bone is half complete. It is very flattened towards the broken end.
Unknown3.jpg

#4: A hollow bone! Is this a bird bone? I know plenty other fossilized bones can be hollow too... perhaps some insight into telling the differences in your average, half-destroyed fossil?
Unknown4.jpg

Well that's it, enjoy the fossils. I'll probably have another batch in a couple weeks as I weed through my Peace River scraps.

Always thankful,
Roddy

#2 ozzyrules244 jr

ozzyrules244 jr

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:00 PM

#2 is a turtle shell piece #4 is a bird bone lol I cheated and looked at dads bones and turtle shells

#3 Auspex

Auspex

Member of the Month 08/08

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,434 posts

Awards

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

#4 may be hollow, but it is rather sturdy for bird.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about."
-Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

#4 TourmalineGuy

TourmalineGuy

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:28 PM

Thanks Auspex, I'll stop expecting everything hollow to be bird, I guess :rolleyes:

#5 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:18 PM

I agree that #2 is turtle, looks like one of the points of the carapace where a vertebral process was attached.
If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

#6 TourmalineGuy

TourmalineGuy

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:02 PM

Yeah, the turtle piece just seemed odd. Its not symmetrical like the other pieces I have with vertebra attached, nor does the attachment look like a vertebra as in my others.

Looking at this image:
Posted Image
I can see a few spots that would make sense, so thanks!

Does anyone have anything to say for the other two? I'm particular curious if the little bone looks familiar to anyone.

Roddy

#7 Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Member of the Month 11/08

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts

Awards

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:53 AM

Yeah, the turtle piece just seemed odd. Its not symmetrical like the other pieces I have with vertebra attached, nor does the attachment look like a vertebra as in my others.

Looking at this image:
Posted Image
I can see a few spots that would make sense, so thanks!

Does anyone have anything to say for the other two? I'm particular curious if the little bone looks familiar to anyone.

Roddy

I don't recognize either of the other two, Roddy.

#8 tracer

tracer

Member of the Month 02/09

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,639 posts

Awards

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:42 PM

#1 has dished-out side morphology that is reminiscent to me of the structure of an astragalus. not enough there to really say that, but i'm just thinking out loud. #3 looks turtley to me in the morphology. number last seems like it's got the shape of say a deer metapodial diaphysis. don't know. hopefully you take wild guesses under advisement.
Posted Image

#9 TourmalineGuy

TourmalineGuy

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:07 PM

Thanks for taking a look Harry and Tracer,

And, yes, I take your wild guesses under advisement. But, I do appreciate them; wild guesses provide a great starting point for further research.

And, now that I compare #1 to my deer astragalus, it matches fairly closely, if properly oriented, to one half of it. Although it is roughly 50% larger in the dimensions, so its might be part of a camel/llama astragalus... Even that might be puts my inquisitive soul partially at rest. Thanks for the wild guess.

Roddy

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users