Peace River Visit

PODIGGER

Got back out to the Peace River, FL yesterday.  I usually try and get there by 0800 AM but with the cold overnight temperatures this week I delayed my start time until closer to 0900 AM to let the sun rise and warm things up a bit.  I was glad I did so as I found the sun high enough to be warming up the spot I had targeted for the day.  The morning was mostly a lot of the usual small miscellaneous shark teeth.  I did find one small, and I mean small, alligator tooth.  A partial small shark vert also turned up.  Rounding out the morning were several nice Hemis, upper and lower, a nice size partial meg and a few extinct tiger shark. A few small pieces of deer antler were found mid-morning.

After taking a lunch break and warming up in the sun I moved up river a short way and got on some larger gravel.  A lot of Dugong pieces were coming up and I found several bones mixed in that I will need to research for a proper ID.  This spot also turned up a partial tapir tooth crown, several pieces of turtle shell, an unknown limb bone and what I believe is a scapula.  At least two the bones appear they could be toe bones.  Throughout the afternoon various shark teeth continued to be found with each sift.  A few pieces of mammoth tooth plates turned up as the day wore on.  Some photos of the days finds to this point -

Left side - Mammoth tooth fragment, three pieces of deer antler, unidentified limb bone (?), unidentified scapula.

Right side - Extinct Tiger, partial Meg, Tiger, Hemis, Lemon shark, small vert, tiny alligator tooth, partial Tapir tooth crown, cup of miscellaneous shark teeth

thumbnail-5.jpeg.988ae7c4ba2cc5af693dd6d13b174249.jpeg

Close up of the vert, Meg, Tiger, Tapir and Alligator -

thumbnail-6.jpeg.f30244d61e9b367eb5b17f3ce1023a1b.jpeg

Two pictures of the bones yet to be identified - possible turtle shell, couple of toe bones(?), possible partial ear bone, etc.

thumbnail-8.jpeg.0248f39dcbeae2780488b9830d93eee6.jpeg

thumbnail-7.jpeg.e6f4eb23458f8dc9b86090b6b605f14b.jpeg

Just when I was thinking it was about time to call it a day up came the below nice sized Cetacaen(?) Vert!

thumbnail.jpeg.39e413255b9c194a15be85fffd8eb51b.jpeg

thumbnail-1.jpeg.09a83b67eefccf0d305f734e4369660d.jpeg

thumbnail-2.jpeg.73d3c3c5228a38d329d8ddd7faf2b3d3.jpeg

thumbnail-3.jpeg.29ded16f8fd3b139689bbd4c2a1e15a2.jpeg

thumbnail-4.jpeg.f5830c358f6f7dea563cfe207e76119d.jpeg

The blue ruler is showing MM and the pink inches.

Vert measures 3.25"L X 3" W X 2.5H.

or 85mm L X 80mm W X 65mm H

This vert made my day, one of the better ones I have found in the Peace River.  Looking forward to my next visit!

• Enjoyed 10

13 hours ago, PODIGGER said:

This vert made my day, one of the better ones I have found in the Peace River.  Looking forward to my next visit!

I was out yesterday... Saturday.... WoW!!!!  Saturdays are not a normal day for me to go out... The parking lot at the bridge was jammed full. I tend not to go Saturday or Sunday because of river congestion. It does not happen all the time, but occasionally, when I find a spot that has lots of fossil,  and return a week or so later, sometimes there are bomb craters all over the river bed.

I kayaked a couple of miles upstream, and then walked downstream,  kayak on a leash , surveyors pole probing the bottom. I am normally seeking tightly packed gravel. Most of the time you can "feel" the difference between tightly and loosely packed gravel (sometimes created by discard piles). If I start seeing leaves in the sieve move on,  if I do not see some small shark teeth in the sieve,  move on. 

I found a similar location: couple of small megs, a couple of tapir caps,  a horse incisor, mammoth fragments, dugong bones, lots of hemis, tigers, lemons, a dillo osteoderm, etc

Even got a couple of beat up verts... Like you , I think this is dolphin,  but sometimes it turns out to be armadillo, or sloth, or .... lots of verts look similar when they are beat up.

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

55 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

I was out yesterday... Saturday.... WoW!!!!  Saturdays are not a normal day for me to go out... The parking lot at the bridge was jammed full. I tend not to go Saturday or Sunday because of river congestion. It does not happen all the time, but occasionally, when I find a spot that has lots of fossil,  and return a week or so later, sometimes there are bomb craters all over the river bed.

I also was going to go Saturday because of the decent temperatures, but got stuck with the Tacoma in the shop.....glad I missed it. Sunday has turned out to be one of my favorite days because the traffic is so light on the way down and, at Zolfo at least, I rarely see anyone else after I leave Pioneer Park. I guess everyone else knows there are no fossils in this stretch of the river, so my days are peaceful. This year has been pretty slow for me, but still run across teasers like this one.

DSCF2088.thumb.jpg.716bd7264d6ed0aec0e0bc7e8672d141.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

1 hour ago, Sacha said:

I also was going to go Saturday because of the decent temperatures, but got stuck with the Tacoma in the shop.....glad I missed it. Sunday has turned out to be one of my favorite days because the traffic is so light on the way down and, at Zolfo at least, I rarely see anyone else after I leave Pioneer Park. I guess everyone else knows there are no fossils in this stretch of the river, so my days are peaceful. This year has been pretty slow for me, but still run across teasers like this one.

DSCF2088.thumb.jpg.716bd7264d6ed0aec0e0bc7e8672d141.jpg

:wub: Gorgeous , John.  seek and ye shall find...

When I saw this in my sieve,  I thought What mammal has incisors like these,   and of course,  the answer was "none".

IMG_4303ce.thumb.jpg.bd29f09482a8853ecedb41b2c8a39813.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks to all who took the time to read and/or   Comment. Next visit I will try and remember to include some pictures of the river.

• Enjoyed 1