val horn

I have the opportunity to go to alaska in late may early june.  I have never been to alaska before.  I have seen several published sites, and some conflicting information on  legal rules.  I was thinking about  ammonites at slide mountain, leaves at coyote lake and wishbone hill.  possibly collecting near Homer on the beach.    If anyone has experience at these places  I would appreciate their feedback.  I really dont want to get myself arrested.

Not sure about ammonites at Slide mountain. I do know the whole range north of the Glenn Highway (Talkeetna mountains) have ammos but I've not hunted there.

Sutton area (off Jonesville rd from the Glenn) has great leaves (Eocene i think)

Almost all sea bluffs from Anchor Point to Homer have Miocene leaf / plant fossils. If found on beach you're safe as it is considered state land but no keeping vertebrate fossils. This is my fossil spot. Depending on your timing I might be able to help here.

99% of vertebrate fossils are found on government land and only Alaskan natives can keep those. There are a few found on private lands but not much. Most are from the northern part and that is mostly park or native corporate lands.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Sjfriend is correct in that collecting for personal enjoyment and education is “safe” on state land although technically not legal. The states antiquities laws were changed about 10 years ago and no input from paleontologist was considered, archeological laws were applied to fossils. There are no “fossil police” waiting to grab the next child that picks up a leaf fossil and haul them away:). Most beaches below high tide line is state land, the Sutton area is state land and the old  coal mine pits have abundant plant fossils. Upper Slide mountain is state land with access off the Glenn Highway with a couple miles of exposed Matanuska  formation plan on an all day hike for that area. There are numerous 4 wheeler trails to hike up to get access and you can see the exposures from the highway. A helpful website for Alaska fossils is redundancydept.com and has a letter explaining concern about the now current Alaska fossil collecting laws. I am currently in Texas enjoying the exposed surface geology, visiting a few areas commonly know to have fossils to collect and learn more about paleontology by visiting museums. Feel free to send a private message to discuss further and enjoy your trip to Alaska. 

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1