Five MC searching for identity.

Mark Kmiecik

A couple of head scratchers and three that I would have called Pecopteris in the past. Calling on the usual MC gang @stats @deutscheben @bigred97 @Nimravis @fiddlehead @flipper559 @connorp @RCFossils and anyone else who would care to take a stab at ID.

IMG_2101.thumb.JPG.09d57d49bd166a673a2988bddb547fe3.JPG IMG_2067.thumb.JPG.76f1f6b6bd5b5ec01494a148760a44bd.JPG IMG_2080.thumb.JPG.73dc12c2b68cc5c7d61001c25c61f57d.JPG 

IMG_2083.thumb.JPG.55024adf0d66b69b37c5eac78a0bef3a.JPG IMG_2095.thumb.JPG.6b8958062888a9a0ff9295a77c2cb956.JPG

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
fix typo

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I am with you on the name Pecopteris , I cannot get into the new names and I still like to call Mazonomya mazonensis Edmondia or clam-clam.

I have no clue what the second pic is, if anything at all.

• I Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

I am with you on the name Pecopteris , I cannot get into the new names and I still like to call Mazonomya mazonensis Edmondia or clam-clam.

I have no clue what the second pic is, if anything at all.

What do you think of the 4th one? Have you looked at an enlarged view of it? There seems to be more than coprolite there.

The second one is an oddly-shaped lump inside of a concretion shaped like what you would expect to contain a single Macroneuropteris pinnule.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
added info

Mark.

Would appreciate your opinion on genus and possibly species ID on any of these. I would like to put an accurate label on these if I can. @bigred97 @connorp @deutscheben @fiddlehead @flipper559 @RCFossils @stats @TheRocksWillShoutHisGlory Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. The recent changes in nomenclature of what I used to know as Pecopteris have thrown me for a loop. I'd love to get at least down to genus on the plant fossils.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik

Mark.

4 minutes ago, flipper559 said:

Sorry Mark, I'm not going to be any help on these.  Nice ferns !!

Phil

Thanks for taking a look.

Mark.

I think the first 2 ferns are Diplazites unita and the last one is Crenulopteris acadica.   All those pecopterid varieties are mindnumbing....  It's all in the veins and veinlets, if there are any and how many.  Then, it matters how the veinlets meet the edge of the pinnule.

I'm sure @fiddlehead or someone else will correct me here.

Cheers,

Rich

Edited by stats
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

19 hours ago, stats said:

All those pecopterid varieties are mindnumbing....

You've hit the nail square on the head with this statement. Thanks for your input. I was thinking Diplazites on the first two as well but really have no clue on the third.

Edit: The third fern (E0095) has pinnules with a crenulated margin.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
fix typo & add info

Mark.

Finally got the new book this week and its gonna be a long while before I read it all and even more time to digest and understand/retain any of the new stuff/revisions. Its quite fascinating and I love all the photos/examples! Nice Jack!

Been staring at 3 for awhile and I'm wondering what's going on in this area below...seems to show the lobes and has some of the veination and splitting we need....I'm not sure if Fig1 on page 90 is similar or dissimilar to your specimen. Ill tentatively go with Crenulopteris as you all have already stated. Wish the preservation was sharper.. Will wait for the better versed to supply a definitive ID...

Nice finds! 

161598565_PecopteridunknownpossibleCrenulopteris.jpg.bc1dc2d74b99faef364728e586ebe6e8.jpg

Regards, Chris 

• Thank You 1

Thanks for taking a look, Chris. 

I've had the book for a couple of years (almost?) and I've begun to wear out the spine, but I'm still extremely shaky on the Psaroniaceae, and I've got a boatload in my collection, hopefully less than it takes to sink it. I wish I could post photos that show what I can see thru a loupe at 10x or 15x, but I can't afford the hardware to do that.

Thank you again.

Mark.