Another Tooth for the Experts, Whale from Aurora...

lesofprimus

Just acquired this whale tooth, listed as an Odontocete from the Yorktown formation in Aurora North Carolina... trying to possibly narrow down the species, so I'm hoping there's someone who has some indepth experience with this formation and type of tooth...

20220220_062545.jpg

Screenshot_20220219-150503_Chrome.jpg

20220220_062551.jpg

20220220_062557.jpg

20220220_062605.jpg

20220220_062617.jpg

20220220_062642.jpg

20220220_065822.jpg

20220220_065853.jpg

20220220_065920.jpg

If anyone can identify it, it would be @Boesse

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

47 minutes ago, lesofprimus said:

Just acquired this whale tooth, listed as an Odontocete from the Yorktown formation in Aurora North Carolina... trying to possibly narrow down the species

You probably won’t be able to get a species name for this. These enamel lacking whale teeth are usually lumped together and identified as “sperm whale”.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

This tooth is Kogiopsis, a pygmy sperm whale in Florida... You might try finding a tooth, of a pygmy sperm whale from Aurora for comparisons

PeaceRiverWhaletxt.jpg.990c29c20c2b7235680001cd76718719.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

5 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

This tooth is Kogiopsis, a pygmy sperm whale in Florida... You might try finding a tooth, of a pygmy sperm whale from Aurora for comparisons

PeaceRiverWhaletxt.jpg.990c29c20c2b7235680001cd76718719.jpg

After looking on the web, I believe you're correct on it being a Kogiopsis floridana tooth... almost identical.

3 hours ago, lesofprimus said:

After looking on the web, I believe you're correct on it being a Kogiopsis floridana tooth... almost identical.

I actually meant for you to go looking for Aprixokogia Kelloggi, from Aurora as your post above indicates.... You would have found this wikipedia entry below..

Kogiopsis floridana MIGHT be the same as Aprixokogia Kelloggi,  but we only have a single mandible with 16 teeth as the holotype and then just isolated teeth found in Florida.  I would suggest you use that named whale from North Carolina,  or better yet  Kogio .indet , which is basically  Indeterminate Pygmy Sperm Whale....

Aprixokogia is an extinct genus of cetacean in the family Kogiidae that lived during the Pliocene in what is now North Carolina. [1] It shared its habitat with ancestors of the modern pilot whale and pygmy right whale, as well as sea turtles and Pelagornis.[

You also might have found this link,  which has a photo of a tooth from a Pygmy Sperm Whale from Aurora...

https://blogs.cofc.edu/macebrownmuseum/2016/12/02/friday-fossil-feature-fintastic-surfprises-from-lee-cones-whale/

Edited by Shellseeker
  • I found this Informative 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

There's not really anything else I can add aside from:

-We have no idea if there are one or more species of enamel-less sperm whales in the North Atlantic Pliocene

-Kogiopsis is a tooth taxon and Aprixokogia is a skull taxon with no overlapping parts, and may be the same taxon

-There are at least three or four sperm whales, based on periotics and teeth, known from Lee Creek

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

17 hours ago, Boesse said:

There's not really anything else I can add aside from:

-We have no idea if there are one or more species of enamel-less sperm whales in the North Atlantic Pliocene

-Kogiopsis is a tooth taxon and Aprixokogia is a skull taxon with no overlapping parts, and may be the same taxon

-There are at least three or four sperm whales, based on periotics and teeth, known from Lee Creek

Appreciate your input none the less man, thank you.