Albertosaurus and T-Rex teeth?

Rikache

Hi there everyone!

I’ve recently been looking for a tyrannosaur tooth to add to my collection and I came in contact with a very nice seller who’s in possession of two theropod teeth.

The main tooth I have questions about is the “Albertosaurus” tooth as that one seems to be the one which would be easiest to ID. I was wondering if it was truly an Albertosaurus tooth or if there was any other identification that could be given to it.

The other tooth, the “Tyrannosaurus Rex” tooth, only has one picture and seems to be in two pieces. I’m aware that the single picture makes it near impossible to properly identify, but I’d greatly appreciate it if you guys could still give it a shot and give a rough guess. Since it’s somewhat small I reckon it could be a Nanotyrannus specimen, though I’m aware that a view of the bottom of the tooth would be somewhat necessary to identify it as such.

Thank you everyone for your help. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my time here in this forum and I can’t wait to keep learning and sharing!

CBEE04A6-D508-479E-A261-56CBD262AE61.jpeg

97EDE7F3-66B6-4C30-A7D5-6F6EEE783806.jpeg

90A6D6E8-ADC7-48D4-AF58-05D2FE753240.jpeg

EFD886C5-E518-496A-B050-7970F9BC1CFD.jpeg

Not an expert lol but based on what ive seen on the forum, I think ID-ing JRF isolated teeth would be almost impossible to ID it to a specific animal. But rather, safer to label it is a Tyrannosaur of either Dasple, Albert, or Gorgo I believe? 

Not sure about the 'Rex' tooth too as it is just a shard and I think it is difficult to distinguish between Nano and Rex without seeing the base of the tooth (at least for me lol)

Good luck!

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

I think Judith River is just Daspletosaurus and Gorgosaurus. Albertosaurus is Horseshoe Canyon.

Albertosaurus is from horseshoe canyon formation but nothing is yet known about Judith river formation tyrannosaur species.

All the teeth in question should be identified as Tyrannosaurid indet. in my opinion.

First tooth is a partial tyrannosaurid tooth . Nice partial . 

Second tooth : i think i see enamel there but not sure if its from tyrannosaur or not

Guns 

• Thank You 1

5 hours ago, Runner64 said:

Albertosaurus is from horseshoe canyon formation but nothing is yet known about Judith river formation tyrannosaur species.

All the teeth in question should be identified as Tyrannosaurid indet. in my opinion.

Oh, I thought Gorgo and Daspleto were from there. So is it just guess work that teeth are called Daspleto/Gorgo from JR because they are from surrounding formations?

Reminder of this topic which shows which Tyrannosaurid are described by formation. Runner64 is spot on.

@Rikache

There are quite a few different Tyrannosaurids in Montana so locality and formation are key in their identification.  So as a new member let me recommend that the provenance of any of these teeth include a specific locality, town or county, where they were found not just Montana.   Don't assume what is being provided is accurate and check everything out like you are doing with this post.  

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

Oh, I thought Gorgo and Daspleto were from there. So is it just guess work that teeth are called Daspleto/Gorgo from JR because they are from surrounding formations?

It was originally thought that the Two Medicine and Judith River formations were similar and it was assumed that JRF would also have gorgo and daspleto. However, there’s been lots of tyrannosaur diversity in these campanian sites (Albertosaurus, Gorgosaurus, Daspletosaurus, Thanatotheristes) and nothing can be concluded until something is formally described there.

5 hours ago, Troodon said:

Don't assume what is being provided is accurate and check everything out like you are doing with this post.

Thank you so much for the helpful information! Through my time on this forum I've learned to not take everything at face value and to try and consult with more experience individuals for help when it comes to situations like these. I've also learned that locality is vastly important so I've already gone ahead and asked the seller about just that. You're always a great help, thank you Troodon!