bone and rodent jaw

SawTooth

Hello, I am new to the Fossil Forum but have been looking for fossils for about a year. Yesterday we went Fossil hunting and found these two fossils (along with many other Miocene age fossils) one is some sort of bone, and the other a rodent jaw but I was wandering if anyone knew the specifics? The jaw is from a creek, and the bone is from a land site. They were found in the same city, and are from the Miocene.

IMG_20220221_111249.jpg

IMG_20220221_111301.jpg

IMG_20220221_111309.jpg

IMG_20220221_111354.jpg

IMG_20220221_111405.jpg

IMG_20220221_111428.jpg

IMG_20220221_111440.jpg

IMG_20220221_111536.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

The occlusal (chewing surface) of the rodent teeth are important for an ID. A focused photo in bright light showing this surface will help greatly.

Even before seeing that surface, this reminds me a lot of a Round-tailed Muskrat aka Florida Water Rat:

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/florida-vertebrate-fossils/species/neofiber-alleni/

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers.

-Ken

Oh, and a scale (an actual ruler not something used for approximate size comparison) would be greatly useful for the long bone. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

1 hour ago, digit said:

The occlusal (chewing surface) of the rodent teeth are important for an ID. A focused photo in bright light showing this surface will help greatly.

Even before seeing that surface, this reminds me a lot of a Round-tailed Muskrat aka Florida Water Rat:

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/florida-vertebrate-fossils/species/neofiber-alleni/

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you for the advice, I hope this will work.

IMG_20220222_192325.jpg

IMG_20220222_195033.jpg

Try a picture with sunlight for the jaw. We really can’t see the chewing surface. The bone looks like a deer cannon bone

• I found this Informative 1

Yup. Better light (outdoors works well as the sun is an unparalleled light source). Hold the camera (likely a smart phone) a bit further away as it looks like you might be too close to focus properly.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 1

Is this better? I do agree with you that it looks like a muskrat after seeing other pictures. On the bone, I noticed that deer cannon bones have the curled piece on the end, and it does not look to me like anything is broken on this one.

IMG_20220223_133755.jpg

1 hour ago, Shark13 said:

Is this better? I do agree with you that it looks like a muskrat after seeing other pictures. On the bone, I noticed that deer cannon bones have the curled piece on the end, and it does not look to me like anything is broken on this one.

IMG_20220223_133755.jpg

It looks close to vole (IV in the sketch).

58f691a220d90_RodentiaeandLeporidae.thumb.jpg.ca2095661d2edd648992f5b540c75965.jpg.f8b40fe75015698d284ea5739b34f9ac.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Agreed. But that skull looks pretty large for a vole (at least from the species I'm familiar with). The size does seem more typical of Neofiber alleni (the Round-tailed Muskrat). Here's the dentition from the UF link above:

Cheers.

-Ken

Fig_4_Neofiberalleni.jpg

• I found this Informative 1