Some tiny colored shark teeth

Shellseeker

I went out hunting the Peace River yesterday. Spent a couple of hours with so-so results and because I was close to a favored location that has always been more Pliocene (lots of marine), than Pleistocene (few/no mammal fossils), I decided to spend 3 hours there. It's primary attraction are small pretty shark teeth. On the right are morning finds and on the left, one of my favorite hunting locations. On the left are dugong rib fossils, very dense, and not the typical Peace River black color.

IMG_4479.thumb.JPEG.8c1c7beeb237d9c59693a31787d7b45e.JPEG

So , Let walk thru some of the many finds.

IMG_4476ce.jpg.94db99e417ec7455dc2242f4fb70c3c8.jpg

I love the tiny upper Hemi teeth.. and especially when they are yellow !!!.. a relatively rare color, especially in the river. Next up are a Crocodile tooth (?) and something that looks like a claw, but is more likely a broken lower hemi.IMG_4466ce.jpg.d39982ffd0e14e65d0fd3dee298285fd.jpg

Here is a better photo of the croc tooth sitting on a piece of dugong rib. .IMG_4478ce.jpg.2c3ea4f9ef74bc98614d514658cc5b14.jpg

and a better photo of the broken lower Hemi....

IMG_4473ce.jpg.e740a39f8fd0521883943dca82b84d50.jpg

I have found fragments of megs here and one whole Meg, ray teeth, pufferfish mouthplate, sea urchin spines, Hemis, a few Makos, Galeocerdo cuvier tigers, but not aduncus or contortus. 

This spot has a very narrow range of fauna fossils.  Always interesting , always relaxing.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 5

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Those are some beautiful colorful teeth.  On the lid on the right, what is the dark grey/black wide curved looking tooth?  

35 minutes ago, Adam86cucv said:

Those are some beautiful colorful teeth.  On the lid on the right, what is the dark grey/black wide curved looking tooth?  

Equus tooth,  3 columns means lower m3 or lower p2...  I love finding these...  Jack

Adding a photo of the chewing surface:

IMG_4481ce.jpg.5f27d5a4026a7a85392749a3bddc46a4.jpg

Edited by Shellseeker
  • Enjoyed 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

19 minutes ago, Family Fun said:

Nice report and you have some awesome colors, many lighter shades

Rick

Agree, but you should have seen them wet in the sieve in the sunshine !!   VIBRANT,  Gorgeous... Most colors fade as they dry off