Dinosaur Egg Fossil? Real? Or something else?

Scuby109

I recently purchased this item from a seller who sold it to me as being a real Dinosaur Egg Fossil. It was found several years back in the State of Tennessee in the Real Foot Lake area. Construction workers were digging into a hillside/mound and uncovered this and several others like it while moving the dirt around. It is oval/egg shaped, and measures approx. 2.5 long by right at 2 inches wide. It weighs 5.9 ounces but feels heavier somewhat than that. I have no idea as to if this is a real fossil ? or just a rock that looks like an Egg Fossil. I've taken several pictures at different angles to show it better. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated since I'm still new at collecting these.  Thanks..

100_9879.jpg

100_9880.jpg

100_9881.jpg

100_9883.jpg

100_9884.jpg

100_9885.jpg

100_9887.jpg

No

• I Agree 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Not really an area where any dinosaur eggs have been found.  If fact any dinosaur finds in that State are pretty scarce.    Eggs would also have a visible eggshell a few millimeters thick.

• I found this Informative 1

If not an egg fossil, then what would it be? Curious as to what it is underneath where it's exposed at the top? But have seen dino egg fossils that look nothing like them either. The only one I've ever seen that looks like one is the larger sized Hadrosaurus I had years ago. Is it some other kind of fossil? or just a rock? So you're 100% sure that this isn't a dino egg fossil? and there's no chance what so ever? Just want to make sure before I send it back.

Edited by Scuby109

If an egg had a shell that thick the hatchling would need a jackhammer to get out. The "shell" is waaaaay too thick.

• Enjoyed 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Concretion.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hello scuby,

In the circumstances you mention I could at least imagine that the seller thought he had the real thing (If not a professional himself).

best regards,

J

• I Agree 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Have found out that this is most likely a Paleo American Art Rock artifact from over 2000+ years ago. Man made and is egg shaped, but just a rock of somekind and not a Dino Egg Fossil as told it was.

Curious who told you that? The same person who thought it was an egg?  I've never heard of an art rock and that doesn't look man-made to me.

• Enjoyed 1

If you look on online, you'll see similar ones . This one was carved into an egg shape from whatever type of rock it is. This is man made/carved and not natural at all. There were others like this found in the same hillside when some construction uncovered them. These are called Paleo Rock Art...look it up on online like I did. Search Google too.  The average age on any of these is 2000 years or older.

I don't see any clear evidence that this rock has been worked. 

I could be wrong, but let me ask @Harry Pristis who knows far more about artifacts than I do. 

• I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

It may or may not be, but I do know it isnt a Dino Egg Fossil... but with all that build up around it, it may be hard to tell if it's carved or not. I just know I wasted (money) on a supposed Dino Egg Fossil. I've read on google on about what shapes these were worked or carved into...oval, egg shaped, round, etc...  

18 minutes ago, Scuby109 said:

look it up on online like I did

I'm curious now. Please give a direct link describing the finds at that construction site and then there's a better chance that I'll believe this claim.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

All that build up, the different color inside, and the shape,  is what makes it a concretion in this case. If you look online you will see other examples of it also.

The con artist seller on online sold this to me.. he told me what he had been told by some other dealer he got it from that it was found at that lake site during construction when they were building in and around that area however many years ago that's been. I've shown this to several people who sell real dino egg fossils and know them when they see them. But I don't know the history of that lake in Tenn. since I live in South Carolina...

So in other words...just a rock whether or not natural or carved doesn't matter really...all I know is that I paid + dollars for a plain jane rock. But I'm getting my money back...that I can be assured of.

Your not the first person that has happened to,  a little bit of research before purchasing something can be worth the time. For future reference at the top of this forum is a post ' So you think you've found an egg' with helpful guidelines, check it out :)

Thanks for the info. will check it out. As the saying goes " never assume" Unless you know for sure a seller is legit, then odds are most are selling rocks of somekind and claiming them to be a Dino Egg.  Thanks again..Del

• Enjoyed 1

All my experience with artifacts and fossils screams this was not shaped by man, or any fossil egg.

• I Agree 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ