Why are these bones blue?

LauraT

Any idea why these little bones are blue? (I know the look a little green here but in sunlight they’re much more blue.) Found a very remote place in Central Turkey.

512B6473-9CB1-455B-8719-A349A5237D21.jpeg

Edited by LauraT
  • I found this Informative 1

Hi Laura,

Very cool find!

I think it is what is called bone turquoise or odontolite, traces of the mineral vivianite colour the bone (or teeth). Vivianite is Iron phosphate, so is created when the calcium phosphate of the fossil reacts with iron from the surroundings under the right circumstances.

Correction:

I just read up on the topic and it seems that it may be rather Manganese ions than vivianite according to new research.

Best regards,

J

Edited by Mahnmut
Update
  • I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

For that different views , preferably next to a measure, could help those who may know. About the right piece I do not even have a clue what kind of bone it may be.

Cheers,

J

• I Agree 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

I am not sure but I believe that the coloration depends on what minerals the fossil is around, or what material the fossil is in.

Another question I have is, can water, or just salt discolor the fossil and make it black? I ask this because I have noticed that teeth and bone that comes from beaches and creeks, especially that have saltwater fed into them, are typically more black than the white, blue, brown, and tan fossils from freshwater and land sites 

• I Agree 1

The_significance_of_vivianite_in_archaeo.jpg.ca6543617dd1dda82abe453521f5231e.jpg.8505d8744d282b5d6f658ea00742ca23.thumb.jpg.febd79ddb8fb9939e0721b263313ff67.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 2/26/2022 at 3:40 PM, Shark13 said:

I am not sure but I believe that the coloration depends on what minerals the fossil is around, or what material the fossil is in.

Another question I have is, can water, or just salt discolor the fossil and make it black? I ask this because I have noticed that teeth and bone that comes from beaches and creeks, especially that have saltwater fed into them, are typically more black than the white, blue, brown, and tan fossils from freshwater and land sites 

Weathering for the colors other than black or gray.

5 hours ago, LauraT said:

Wow!  Thank you.

You are welcome! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library