EliasG

As a follow up to my last topic, i've included some of the other dinosaur teeth that I acquired at an annual fossil show. The first tooth pictured is claimed to be Triceratops, no locality was included but he claims it was found in North Carolina. however I cannot find any information to which Triceratops material has been found in NC. The second tooth pictured is claimed to be a Leptoceratops tooth from Hell Creek, however it seems they are often misidentified as Triceratops teeth. The third tooth depicted is Labeled as Richardoestesia, also from the Hell Creek formation.

I am grateful for any identification and information that can be provided! Please feel free to ask for more adequate photos.

IMG_3011.thumb.JPG.cbb294ea71b9db0b889a2eda75a31a9f.JPGIMG_3010.thumb.JPG.7ac6e0c8ae0b67f6d0cd0f8d0ffddb36.JPGIMG_3012.thumb.JPG.ec1e77253264b4009c3a57e731e6df95.JPG

No Triceratops in NC, different age.  Its probably a ceratopsian spitter from the Hell Creek.

The other two look good, like to see the back of the Lepto tooth.

When buying teeth the most important piece of information you can get is locality (state, town or county) where found followed by Formation like your Lepto tooth.  Otherwise it can be very difficult to identify since dinosaur teeth can look similar.  Montana has lots of adjacent formations of different ages and species of dinosaurs.   So if you want a shot at an ID, a good provenance is important and be very skeptical of the information provided.  Check it out like you are doing..

7 hours ago, Troodon said:

No Triceratops in NC, different age.  Its probably a ceratopsian spitter from the Hell Creek.

The other two look good, like to see the back of the Lepto tooth.

When buying teeth the most important piece of information you can get is locality (state, town or county) where found followed by Formation like your Lepto tooth.  Otherwise it can be very difficult to identify since dinosaur teeth can look similar.  Montana has lots of adjacent formations of different ages and species of dinosaurs.   So if you want a shot at an ID, a good provenance is important and be very skeptical of the information provided.  Check it out like you are doing..

Here is the back of the Lepto tooth as requested!

IMG_3013.thumb.JPG.dfc903dca43f564f2e64434602f92dba.JPG

Thank you again for your shared time and knowledge of these specimens :)

Glad I asked that does not appear to be a Lepto tooth.  They are single rooted and you would not see break on the back side, its rounded.  Yours is very typical of a large bodied Ceratopsian like Triceratops that has a second root behind the chewing side.