Where to fossil hunt near Colorado Springs, CO?

madgil

Hello!

I'm traveling to Colorado Springs this summer. And I'm hoping to do some fossil hunting within an hours drive of Colorado Springs.  I'm a geology graduate from James Madison University in Virginia and I love to collect invertebrate fossils to share with the kids I teach. Anything from ammonites to crinoids to leaves.  Any advice on where to look?  Thanks!

Florissant Fossil Quarry 18117 Teller County Rd 1, Florissant, CO 80816. https://www.florissantfossilquarry.com/ 

This has to be one of the most famous localities in the US. You should visit the National Monument close by first if you have not already before you go to the quarry. 

• Thank You 1

I whole heartedly agree with Mr. Crab's recommendation. Also, Baculite Mesa near Pueblo has Upper Cretaceous Pierre Shale with loads of baculites, Inoceramus clams, and possibly other types of ammonites. It is on private land, and you must get permission to collect there. A little research should produce a number to call. The owner is friendly. When there, watch your step and be careful of all of the cactuses. I visited both sites on my last Colorado trip in September.