ncain444

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

Yeah, it looks like some kind of concretion. I don´t see any fossil(s).

However, I am using something quite similar as a joke ;):

Spiegelei_klein_kompr.jpg

Franz Bernhard

It is brown and layered and sitting on an imitation wood grain surface. That's about all anyone will be able to tell you without photos of the sides and bottom and at least a little bit of information about where it was found and whether it was found in situ or as an erratic from an unknown strata of sediment. If you have specific questions, ask them. Also, you'll have more people seeing your specimen if you post inquiries like this in the Fossil ID section or the mineral section. There may be a fossil in one of the layers, but there's no way of knowing which one or if one exists. The way to find out is to split it open. Concretions like this are quite common so if there's nothing in it it's no great loss.

Welcome to the forum from Illinois.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Wow that is funny. I am just curious. You are saying it is just a coincidence the shape that has formed inside this rock? It was found in freshly turned dirt at a construction site near lake Michigan.

I found it in newly turned dirt at a construction site. Near lake Michigan. It looks very detailed so I am trying to figure out how this was formed. And if it has value. I considered donating to museum if not. I really don't know much about this type of thing. 

8 minutes ago, ncain444 said:

Wow that is funny. I am just curious. You are saying it is just a coincidence the shape that has formed inside this rock? It was found in freshly turned dirt at a construction site near lake Michigan.

Yes, but that rock has probably been around for several million years or more. Lots of time to get pounded left and right and roughed up and smoothed out and broken and squeezed and dropped and buried and eroded and . . .  I'm sure you get the idea. It's been around long enough for weather and water to make it what it is.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

2 hours ago, ncain444 said:

You are saying it is just a coincidence the shape that has formed inside this rock?

Yes. Its just coincidence. A nicely weathered concretion in sandstone.

But it caused severe :drool: in some members... ;).

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard

On 3/6/2022 at 12:55 PM, FranzBernhard said:

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

Yeah, it looks like some kind of concretion. I don´t see any fossil(s).

However, I am using something quite similar as a joke ;):

Franz Bernhard

Had it been collected two days earlier it would have been on a Fry Day.

• Enjoyed 1

TOPICS MERGED. ;)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me