Fun weathering forms at a stromatoporoid reef; Silurian, Keyser Formation

SteveE

I visited a well-studied outcrop of the Silurian Keyser Formation in Altoona PA (USA).  This is the historic quarry of the Altoona Furnace, right in the town of Altoona PA.   Its a big reach for me (a relative noobie) to go through the tech reports and guides and understand it all.  But its fun to try.

Anyway, on a recent picture only trip, I stopped by one part of the wall with loads of stromatoporoids.

IMG_0210.JPG.747ed1251a5f6ca0997a3832dafb248e.JPGIMG_0211.thumb.JPG.7ca00bbb572deebc10131a65dcd32c28.JPG

I ran into another forum member and her husband a few days earlier up there.   And they pointed out some structures on the top of this wall.  I may ask a photographer friend to get better pics, but this was the best I could do with my phone from a safe spot.   Besides some bioherm or stromatoporoid, what else might these be?   The reef write up includes crinoids, bryazoa, various brachiopods etcIMG_0208.JPG.091b35f6519940bfdb7817759173cda7.JPGIMG_0209.thumb.JPG.5e9681f37f809bcd0d46ce7812c5df4f.JPG

• Enjoyed 5

Thanks for the photos. Really cool formation.

• Thank You 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Very cool stuff, that’s not crazy far from me so it’s cool to know about this spot. Always wanted to see some of these in person.

• Enjoyed 1

4 minutes ago, ScottBlooded said:

Very cool stuff, that’s not crazy far from me so it’s cool to know about this spot. Always wanted to see some of these in person.

Look for a PM