Swedish echinoid

Notidanodon

Hi guys, I have this strange echinoid from sweden,, but the provenance might be off :) thanks for your help

E4AC874F-A309-4EB6-B556-0EE910EFA6A6.jpeg

7E1B1CC9-FBD2-4ABA-B495-FF43E2466B9D.jpeg

FEC542EA-09B0-4B84-A4B2-098CC86ABF97.jpeg

FAF12C9B-4362-4BE5-88F8-9DC9A7022DB5.jpeg

Do you know where in Sweden it's supposed to be from? Kristianstad Basin? I have absolutely no knowledge on the identification of echinoids nor of the preservational conditions in the Kristianstad Basin. Neither do I know of other Cretaceous sites in Sweden, but I know that deposits in the basin, at least, date to the Late Cretaceous (early Santonian to early Maastrichtian). Information like this may help identify the specimen, although @Dunderdung or @The Amateur Paleontologist may know more.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

10 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Do you know where in Sweden it's supposed to be from? Kristianstad Basin? I have absolutely no knowledge on the identification of echinoids nor of the preservational conditions in the Kristianstad Basin. Neither do I know of other Cretaceous sites in Sweden, but I know that deposits in the basin, at least, date to the Late Cretaceous (early Santonian to early Maastrichtian). Information like this may help identify the specimen, although @Dunderdung or @The Amateur Paleontologist may know more.

Unfortunately not, I know it’s vague and it should also be taken with a pinch of salt so it may be easier to try and identify it just based off features, it is fairly distinctive:)

• I found this Informative 1

I hunt in the Kristianstad Basin and the echinoids from there don't look like that. Atleast what I have found. Complete larger sea urchins in the K. Basin is more rare. But smaller ones (around 1 cm) are more common.

Are there any matrix left on the echinoid?

- Adriano

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...

Im not familiar with echinoid species but here are my  specimens for reference. The black one was found in Helsingborg the other one im not so sure. Might be from Dennmark.  DSCF3804.thumb.JPG.a207ab694b5acc8cdaa3bd3e98f7e57e.JPGDSCF3805.thumb.JPG.07627c8350da735c5af982f01847b539.JPG

• Thank You 1

@Dunderdung   tu aurais dû commencer un nouveau sujet avec tes oursins. Tu les as mis à identifier dans un sujet sur les oursins anglais ! Je pense que ton 1er est un Echinocorys.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

50 minutes ago, Coco said:

@Dunderdung   tu aurais dû commencer un nouveau sujet avec tes oursins. Tu les as mis à identifier dans un sujet sur les oursins anglais ! Je pense que ton 1er est un Echinocorys.

Hi Coco,

I'm not sure whether @Dunderdung speaks French, as he's from Sweden. Also, as this thread concerns the identification of a Swedish echinoid by a British member, I think he's very much on-topic posting his Scandinavian samples. Lastly, he's not asking for identification of his fossils, just saying he doesn't have a proper ID for them - though this, of course, makes a perfect candidate for a new thread on the identification forum ;)

• Enjoyed 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Oh yes ! You're right ! I have forgotten to write in english ! :duh2: :duh2: Tired so early in the day ! :heartylaugh:

Translation : @Dunderdung you should have started a new topic with your sea urchins. You put them to identify in a topic about English sea urchins ! I think your first is an Echinocorys.

I said that because @Dunderdungsea urchins don't have much things in common with those of the OP : size, shape etc... And I also thought that its wording silently required identification.

Coco

• Enjoyed 1

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

On 3/30/2022 at 8:15 PM, will stevenson said:

Hi guys, I have this strange echinoid from sweden,, but the provenance might be off :) thanks for your help

I think your echinoid is an Holasteridae but it's just an internal mold.

So impossible to id correctly

• Enjoyed 1

1 minute ago, Coco said:

Oh yes ! You're right ! I have forgotten to write in english ! :duh2: :duh2: Tired so early in the day ! :heartylaugh:

:BigSmile:

Yeah, I thought as much ;) You're not the only one though (who tires so early). Here, have a virtual cup of Java :coffee: :P

1 minute ago, Coco said:

I said that because @Dunderdungsea urchins don't have much things in common with those of the OP : size, shape etc... And I also thought that its wording silently required identification.

True, but I don't think he's too familiar with echinoid identification, as I wouldn't be either. I can just about see that he posted examples of regular sea urchins, whereas OP's is an irregular one. But you need to first know these are two different classes of urchin and are not comparable to pay attention to the difference. Otherwise, for some people (myself included), an urchin is just an urchin. I think something just got lost in translation :whistle:

• Enjoyed 1

Yes, it’s not always easy not to be an Anglophone by birth ! And I always like to see sea urchins, from any country or age.

@will stevensonI’m sorry I can’t help you with your sea urchins that remind me of Catopygus in size and shape, but that probably aren’t.

Coco

• Enjoyed 2

----------------------

Un Greg...

On 4/12/2022 at 8:18 AM, caterpillar said:

I think your echinoid is an Holasteridae but it's just an internal mold.

So impossible to id correctly

Thanks that’s enough for me!

On 4/11/2022 at 10:58 AM, Dunderdung said:

Im not familiar with echinoid species but here are my  specimens for reference. The black one was found in Helsingborg the other one im not so sure. Might be from Dennmark.  DSCF3804.thumb.JPG.a207ab694b5acc8cdaa3bd3e98f7e57e.JPGDSCF3805.thumb.JPG.07627c8350da735c5af982f01847b539.JPG

nice specimens! 

On 4/12/2022 at 3:21 AM, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

True, but I don't think he's too familiar with echinoid identification, as I wouldn't be either. I can just about see that he posted examples of regular sea urchins, whereas OP's is an irregular one. But you need to first know these are two different classes of urchin and are not comparable to pay attention to the difference. Otherwise, for some people (myself included), an urchin is just an urchin. I think something just got lost in translation :whistle:

The photos Dunderdung posted show two irregular urchins as far as I can tell.

Don

Just now, FossilDAWG said:

The photos Dunderdung posted show two irregular urchins as far as I can tell.

See, that's how little I know about sea urchins! :P But now that you mention it, I do believe I indeed recognize it in the one on the left - the other is a bit more difficult to understand for me :)

• 2 weeks later...

Im sorry, i didnt mean to cause any fuzz! I should definetly get them identified in a separate thread. 

I just tought it would be helpfull to get a look at what we usually find here. But i can see that it was a bit out of place now hehe :headscratch:

• Thank You 1