fossilhunter21

So I know in another post I said that I was not going to prep mammal fossils for a while... Well apparently I lied. :P It was not very expensive (I am sure you can see why) so I decided to purchase it. Here it is after a few hours of work. 20220330_205811.thumb.jpg.ef2fbe9d30b312dee1c4dc960f5176d4.jpg20220330_205344.thumb.jpg.53297390299c22e30990b0a504a1cc0b.jpg20220330_205219.thumb.jpg.122a5e9fa440354b6242ad1f320d45cd.jpg

Ps. Sorry about the quality of the photos. My camera takes batteries and is not rechargeable and I have no batteries left. Also I am  tired and it's late and I don't feel like spending lots of time on photos right now. ;) Hopefully tomorrow I can get better pictures.

-Micah

Edited by fossilhunter21
  • Enjoyed 1

Can’t really tell from the photos but I see a piece of rear lower left jaw and small piece of upper left jaw! Cool! What size is it? Can’t wait to see how it comes out! Good luck.

:popcorn::popcorn:

• Thank You 1

Yep! There is some of the upper skull, but the lower half is not too bad. Sorry, I always forget to say the size. ;) The skull is about 4 inches long. 

Yeah I would prefer to have a more complete skull, but it is good for practice. ;) 

-Micah

2 hours ago, fossilhunter21 said:

Yeah I would prefer to have a more complete skull, but it is good for practice. ;) 

-Micah

Yeah. They are all fun to work on! I have one that sits on my prep desk thats’s nothing but upper and lower jaws! No skull per say. It’s ugly and nasty but fun to piddle with when I’m taking a break from other pieces.

• I found this Informative 1

29 minutes ago, Randyw said:

Yeah. They are all fun to work on! I have one that sits on my prep desk thats’s nothing but upper and lower jaws! No skull per say. It’s ugly and nasty but fun to piddle with when I’m taking a break from other pieces.

I agree that oreodonts are all really fun to work on, plus they are not too hard to prep usually. 

-Micah

Nice progress. I can’t tell for sure yet but I suspect it’s a loose tooth from the skull you’re working on. I had a breif spell of excitement on an oreodont upper I was working on one time when i found a loose tooth. Once I prepped it out it turned out to be a lower left front inscisor from the missing lower jaw. You can find all sorts of cool things in weird places in these partial skulls. I founf a toe bone and femur in the mouth of the same speciman….

Edited by Randyw
  • Thank You 1

7 minutes ago, Randyw said:

Nice progress. I can’t tell for sure yet but I suspect it’s a loose tooth from the skull you’re working on. I had a breif spell of excitement on an oreodont upper I was working on one time when i found a loose tooth. Once I prepped it out it turned out to be a lower left front inscisor from the missing lower jaw. You can find all sorts of cool things in weird places in these partial skulls. I founf a toe bone and femur in the mouth of the same speciman….

Thank you for your response! It does make sense that it would be from the skull. 

-Micah

Well I finished up the oreodont skull. It is definititely not a prep I am proud of. But I guess it was meant for practice. ;)

I finally got my camera up and running with my new ac adaptor, so the images should be clearer. :)

DSCF7050.JPG

DSCF7049.JPG

DSCF7048.JPG

• Enjoyed 3

Why arent you proud of the prep? It looks like you did a great job :fistbump:  And the pictures are awesome too!

I somehow like pieces like that much more than complete perfect skulls.

Edited by belemniten
  • Thank You 1

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Thanks, @belemniten:) There are a few spots on the skull where I dinged it up really bad, but they are not very visible in the photos. ;) But I have not prepped many fossils. And the more I prep, the more experience I will have (hopefully). This week I am going to visit S I P I (Southern Indiana Paleontology Institute). They give tours of their fossil prep lab, and I am hoping maybe I can learn a thing or two. I like the skull to, but more complete ones are definitely easier to prep. :default_faint:

-Micah

28 minutes ago, Shark13 said:

Wow, where did you learn to do that? I'm guessing it wasn't off a YouTube tutorial.

I actually taught myself, but one day I would like to take lessons somewhere. 

-Micah

Edited by fossilhunter21
  • I found this Informative 1