DocBee

I found this by chance on a Sunday afternoon walk on Hayling Island beach on the south coast of Hampshire near The Inn on the Beach. I wasn't even looking for fossils on the predominantly cherty beach but was watching my footing very carefully as I left the beach and stepped onto the car park when I saw the characteristic line of twin holes.

I initially thought it was was a Conulus Abogalerus (Leske) because it's really conical in shape and the right size but because the mouth was not central realised it had to be something else. Now I think it's probably Echinocorys Scutatus (Leske).  It's got a projection on it, just like specimen "e" on this page.

I can only find one other sighting of Echinocorys Scutatus in the area, the first photo on this page which was found at Peacehaven but that's 90km (55 miles) away. This forum has a partial specimen of some kind of echinoid found on Hayling Island in 2011  but I can't find any other mention of echinoid fossils on Hayling Island on the internet so I feel very lucky to have found something which must be quite rare :)

2022-04-04 10.50.10 (2).jpg

2022-04-04 10.50.42 (2).jpg

2022-04-04 10.50.02.jpg

2022-04-04 10.50.32 (2).jpg

Edited by DocBee
typo
  • Enjoyed 2