How do you use Elmer’s glue to harden matrix?

Brad s.

The tooth itself looks solid enough, and if a little bit of the matrix crumbles away it won't affect the specimen at all. It will make it more shiny like when it's wet, so it's pretty much an aesthetic choice. I'll admit it does look much more showy when it's wet.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I used watered down elmers back in the mid 90's.  Used to literally dunk little fish slabs in it and let dry.  I did this cause back in the day thats what some of the fish quarry guys used.  I quickly found out that on humid days the specimen would be 'sticky'.  so I stopped.  I found Glyptal back then and use it to this day.  I think most folks nowadays use that paraloid stuff.  No stick for either once dry.  

RB

I wouldn't recommend Elmer's glue it can get sticky, it's non-reversible, and will yellow over time. I would suggest using B-72 resin lacquer or for something a more permanent you could use a thin viscosity cyanoacrylate super glue like Star Bond.

Edited by CrazyRockLady
  • I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Elmer's glue sold today is n ot the same as it was 30 years ago.  But is still a very poor choice. Gets some Butvar or Paraloid. 

I agree, I would not use elmers glue. I use Paraloid B-72 for my fossils, and I think it works pretty well. 

-Micah