Possibe blister pearl from NJ Cretaceous

frankh8147

Hello everyone,

I was looking for possible confirmation on this find. It's am exogyra from Monmouth County New Jersey.

I am not am expert on pearls so if someone can take a look a look and let me know if they are pearls or not, it would be greatly appreciated!

20220424_103541.jpg

20220424_103338.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 1

wowza. I know Inoceramids can produce fossilized pearls but I haven't heard of exogyra doing it yet. Certainly looks like it to me but I'm not experienced enough to give you that ID, wait for another member to chip in.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

It does look like blister pearls but I not experienced with this sort of martial. Here one in my collection.. Found on the Norfolk coast a fossilised clam and blister pearl. 

7162A818-609C-4DE7-A3E6-09A16AAA8083.jpeg

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

I also have one from the NJ Cretaceous.  It's buried away but pretty sure it was also in an Exogyra.  Nice find!

PS have yet to find one in a Texas oyster...

• I found this Informative 3
  • Thank You 1

They are blister pearls. Very nice find!

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Wow this is so amazing! That’s definitely a pearl to me! Congrats! :b_love1:

I’ve heard of fossil pearls being found in the NSR (Cretaceous) from either exogyra or inoceramus (maybe both!?) and seeing someone here finding one makes me want to look out for some! I see inoceramus shells all the time at the Ladonia but usually fragile, pearly imprint in the shale, but heard exogyra can also be found there. I wonder if the lopha oysters in POC can produce any! :zzzzscratchchin:

Edited by AmmoniteDelight
  • Thank You 1