Help identify this fossil

Seawitch7c2t

• New Members

Please help me to identify this fossil. I am new to this and came across this unique find. I gave Google lenses it and came up empty. Any help to this will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

16511340891676386029760345287040.jpg

16511341232373013704679315480291.jpg

It appears to be a concretion of some kind. It would help us if you would at least name a location for your find as well as stratigraphy if possible, as is asked in the introduction to this section.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

No fossil, sorry.  It is a water-tumbled rock that has a quartz seam running through it.

When the rock was in-place, as part of the formation, a fracture formed. Water rich in dissolved silica flowed through the fracture and the quartz precipitated out, eventually filling the fracture, or "healing" it

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 4

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Indeed. Not a fossil as mentioned above but a really cool looking geologic oddity. The harder quartz seam through this rock wore down less quickly while the fragment was tumbling around in a river which rounded it into a nice smooth cobble. While not a fossil, I'm sure many of us would have been moved to bend over and pick it up to take it home as a novelty.

Cheers.

-Ken