Hello there!

I'm collecting fossils since I was a kid and I have a question, so I hope anybody can help.

I bought a fossil years ago at my local fossil and mineral fair in Germany from a maroccan trader. It should be a Spinosaurus vertebra. But I'm doubting about the authenticity. It was quite cheap. But it's a real vertebra? (and even from Spinosaurus?)

Thank you!

greetings,

Lilian

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

It is hard to say for certain from the photos and with the lack of scale, but it does resemble the centrum from the middle or more distal part of a spinosaur tail. Tail-propelled aquatic locomotion in a theropod dinosaur | Nature

Hi Liian

Yes I agree its a centrum of a Spinosaurid.  In the future best to take straight in photos, not at obtuse angles and with a scale

Yes it's a real vertebra. And yes it does seems to fit with a mid distal caudal for a spinosaur. It's not from the tip of the tail since those have a strong horizontal pinch in the middle just below the neural canal. I don't see that feature here, so if it's spinosaur then it has to be further up the tail. Somewhere around the 31 position or possibly in front of that in the image that Nanosaurus posted seems a plausible position.

The vertebra is also lying up side down in the photos. The vertebra doesn't seem that big so I'd think it's more likely from an immature individual.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thank you very much!

I just did two further pics of the two sides and a measurement (in centimeters)IMG_0097.thumb.JPG.114375facbe7c80c1d45cd7094d5e6e6.JPG

IMG_0099.JPG

Edited by Eskel