Peace River hunt, May 2nd.

Shellseeker

Out today.  Regular hunting partner called yesterday and wanted to go back to a spot where we had found medium to large Tigers, Duskys, and Hemis. The river was up a little bit from Saturday rains, just the way I like it.

That spot had been heavily dug since the last time we were there.  It happens. We were finding 20% of what it used to produce and after 90 minutes reluctantly moved upstream. One of us would find productive gravel and call the other to the new spot. 

Turns out I was the one to find productive  gravel. Then something uncommon but not unusual occurred. I continued to find good fossils... megs and meg fragments, whale tooth, horse teeth a piece of bark ivory,  a very nice Mako,  large Hemis and Tigers, and then a piece of jaw with 3 teeth.  He found few broken small shark teeth digging not 10 feet from me. I have been in that situation .  These are the times that test a friendship. I kept on hoping  that he would find something... anything really good. But that is not how fossil hunting works... or life either. Takes me back to my Mom's advice when I was 5... life is not fair,  get over it. We will go again to a different spot on the Peace River later this week.

No time tonight to sort all the finds or take photos for Fossil ID thread...  Just the jaw piece, and a photo of the initial sort....

IMG_5416HalfEquus.thumb.jpg.33a64d06c0144c3bc7d5eb1858b8ef28.jpg

IMG_5419group.thumb.jpg.432a75c421105e5478201a49b22150b6.jpg

• Enjoyed 18

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Awesome- great finds! We took our kids to the the Peace yesterday as well. We didn't do as good as you, but better than your friend for sure :) Alligator teeth, horse teeth, tapir,shark teeth, osteoderms, scutes, etc. Lots of interesting fragments, even a larger mystery fossil (see pics). So much fun. We showed our kids your pictures- they are stoked to get back there! Thanks for sharing!

Brent

IMG_6109.JPG

IMG_6111.JPG

IMG_6112.JPG

IMG_6113.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

1 hour ago, Discover and Preserve said:

Awesome- great finds! We took our kids to the the Peace yesterday as well. We didn't do as good as you, but better than your friend for sure :) Alligator teeth, horse teeth, tapir,shark teeth, osteoderms, scutes, etc. Lots of interesting fragments, even a larger mystery fossil (see pics). So much fun. We showed our kids your pictures- they are stoked to get back there! Thanks for sharing!

Brent

Brent,

Great finds for initial hunting trips. I am so pleased that your kids have the opportunity and joys of the Peace river.  Presents from nature.

After seeing your find,  I just went outside and took this photo. My friend from yesterday found 5 or 6 of these "tree stumps" in the early 90s and gave me one as a birthday present 7 or 8 year ago. It seems to have similar texture to your find from yesterday...  Maybe not... but maybe. 

IMG_5470.thumb.JPEG.ceea65edd559f38670b8b3c4eb3eb760.JPEG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Well,

I was thinking that I would ask for identifications on some of the finds from yesterday, but I think I know most of what I found....So, some additional photos... of these finds.

A lot of small shark teeth including a sand tiger,  rare for this location on the river.

IMG_5420.thumb.JPEG.e745bc07af54c0968c447469a61254ef.JPEGIMG_5420SandTiger.jpg.d09edbbef179c4f0f9bccb109a6e57ae.jpg

A whale tooth with an open root cavity and a broken tip,  but the photo on the left confirms what it is...

Whale_Text.thumb.jpg.16ee16c34b375a0077f8cb5b32d22880.jpg

Closeups of shark teeth,  both around 2 inches, really worn but I love the roots

IMG_5432.thumb.JPEG.216b9d42df9275fc17543370d465fe30.JPEGIMG_5441.thumb.JPEG.20248e1a831bbbe0f95f84e2e0f52da6.JPEG

A coupleof Horse teeth,  I thought one was pre_Equus , but no longer believe so...IMG_5429t.jpg.ed444916ad50c00cad2da577123b3da3.jpg

IMG_5427e.thumb.jpg.144e7b81748f00d5ab5a6ffed130254e.jpg

Here is an unusual find, likely an epiphysis from a long bone...

IMG_5465t.thumb.jpg.96feecd90113a997acfb42f8334bfc4e.jpgIMG_5466t.thumb.jpg.9668be659bf52d8d0bc704c001fd3c77.jpg

And finally, maybe a little more fossilized wood....

IMG_5462.thumb.JPEG.40462ae346da09e5cf781ba061baf4fd.JPEGIMG_5463ce.thumb.jpg.67bd8289ee9f64e8ddd06431118977fa.jpg

There are days when I am always finding great fossils.This was one of them

I keep that in mind on those days when I just have the weather, the birds, and the Hoot Owls to enjoy.

• Enjoyed 2

I didnt think about fossilized wood- I bet that is what it is! I think my favorite find of yours is the whale tooth.

That piece of jaw with the 3 teeth is very cool!  The color of the teeth and the grooves are very nice.  Do you know what it is from?  I assume one of the horses, but which one?

• I Agree 1

x

5 hours ago, Discover and Preserve said:

I didnt think about fossilized wood- I bet that is what it is! I think my favorite find of yours is the whale tooth.

You know, sometimes I switch, and think sloth, or rhino, or little horses might be the favorite but , in the end, I also see whale teeth as my favorites

WhaleMRG2txt.jpg.ced7decce1fd0e2c3a8981d99a3bbe23.jpg

5 hours ago, ClearLake said:

That piece of jaw with the 3 teeth is very cool!  The color of the teeth and the grooves are very nice.  Do you know what it is from?  I assume one of the horses, but which one?

It is from Equus sp (large Horse), which existed in Florida for the last 1.5 million years.  It is the left half of the lower jaw incisors, and one of  the prettiest fossils that I have found.

4 hours ago, Family Fun said:

Always finding great stuff Jack, and that’s why I love your posts.

I seem to have quite a bit more luck than friends I go hunting with... most of the time...

• Thank You 1

Great finds Jack. I'd be happy with that haul. I'm glad you are getting some positive results. Did you ever find out what that jaw piece with dentition is?

I'm trying to get back out there at least one more time before the rains come for good.

30 minutes ago, Bone Daddy said:

Great finds Jack. I'd be happy with that haul. I'm glad you are getting some positive results. Did you ever find out what that jaw piece with dentition is?

I'm trying to get back out there at least one more time before the rains come for good.

The friend I was hunting with literally found nothing. Ever have that happen when you were out?

The jaw is about1/2 the mandible of Equus,  with 3 large incisors..

This month will go fast... Rains are coming...   Good luck out there...  Jack

Great finds! I'm glad you had a good hunt. Nice thing about hunting with my husband is that they are all "our" finds (that will change when one of us finds the right thing). :Wink1:We're going to have to check out the Peace at some point.

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.