Possible Hadrosaur Fossil

Jdub1182

I found this fossil on top of the Unchompagre, in an area of the Morrison Formation. I am trying to verify if this is possibly a Dinosaur Fossil??

96D07173-7748-41BA-ABD1-EF4DFFE0980F.jpeg

3C70ECEE-9026-4145-8AFA-1DA6C0382D77.jpeg

0195A7EF-D3F7-4BBA-A259-DBF8FB01771D.jpeg

E19B219E-7E6D-47D5-8479-E34FB046CE64.jpeg

A3004C1C-5CC0-45CD-ABD7-84D297C83FE3.jpeg

Howdy.  It has an interesting shape, but I do not see any bone texture to it, not in the surface nor the broken edge.  Sandstone chunk.   

• I Agree 5

What makes you say its from the Morrison Formation? You won't find any Jurassic fossils on Uncompahgre peak. The closest Jurassic aged rock is near the town of Ouray below 10,000 feet.

Edited by Top Trilo
  • I found this Informative 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Unchompagre Peak or Unchompagre Plateau?.... two very different sites.  (I didn't know there was a peak until Top Trilo mentioned it). 

14 minutes ago, jpc said:

Unchompagre Peak or Unchompagre Plateau?.... two very different sites.  (I didn't know there was a peak until Top Trilo mentioned it). 

Good point, I didn't think of Uncompahgre Plateau, since the OP said "on top of the Unchompagre" making me think a peak.

I searched their location (cedaredge) and its closer to the plateau than the mountain. Turns out there's also an Uncompahgre river that is closer to Cedaredge than both the plateau and the peak.

Uncompahgre peak is the 6th highest mountain in Colorado, one of the 50 or so 14ers (mountains over 14,000 feet elevation) in the state. 

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

Not only do we earn paleontology here, but we also get a good dose of geography.

• I Agree 1

On 5/4/2022 at 5:29 PM, Top Trilo said:

Good point, I didn't think of Uncompahgre Plateau, since the OP said "on top of the Unchompagre" making me think a peak.

I searched their location (cedaredge) and its closer to the plateau than the mountain. Turns out there's also an Uncompahgre river that is closer to Cedaredge than both the plateau and the peak.

Uncompahgre peak is the 6th highest mountain in Colorado, one of the 50 or so 14ers (mountains over 14,000 feet elevation) in the state. 

On 5/4/2022 at 3:12 PM, Top Trilo said:

What makes you say its from the Morrison Formation? You won't find any Jurassic fossils on Uncompahgre peak. The closest Jurassic aged rock is near the town of Ouray below 10,000 feet.

No, I found it out on the Unchompagre Plateau, in delta Colorado. There is Fossils found out here all the time. There is even a   public Trilobite  Quarry nearby. I should also mention Fruita, Colorado when you say there isn’t any Jurassic age Fossils nearby. Fruita is about 45 minutes away & even has a Dinosaur named after it, because it was 1st found & identified there. Colorado Mesa University has a Fossil quarry there as well.

2 hours ago, Jdub1182 said:

No, I found it out on the Unchompagre Plateau, in delta Colorado. There is Fossils found out here all the time. There is even a   public Trilobite  Quarry nearby. I should also mention Fruita, Colorado when you say there isn’t any Jurassic age Fossils nearby. Fruita is about 45 minutes away & even has a Dinosaur named after it, because it was 1st found & identified there. Colorado Mesa University has a Fossil quarry there as well.

Yes, there are Jurassic exposures on the Uncompahgre Plateau, and there are fossils found there. Fruita which is also in western Colorado as you point out does indeed have dinosaur fossils too and is well known for that however in a 45 minute drive the rock formations and ages can change a lot. For example I'm about a half hour drive to Morrison Colorado yet I haven't seen any sauropods roaming my backyard, and Red Rock Amphitheater, which is made from the Fountain Formation, over 300 million year old rock is right behind Morrison. You mention a pubic trilobite quarry nearby yet there are no Paleozoic exposures until you get closer to Telluride or Aspen. I am aware of a very famous trilobite quarry near Delta Utah, but not Delta Colorado. Good luck on your future fossil finds you live in a very great place to find fossils.