My Collection so far ...

Rock Hound

Sorry, I never could get it in focus well.  Beautiful, in person.

20220521_142254_(1).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Is that a Eucalyptocrinus/-ites(?) with a trilobutt in it? From Waldron? I like it.

BTW you posted that tooth case already, above.

On 5/30/2022 at 7:32 AM, Wrangellian said:

Is that a Eucalyptocrinus/-ites(?) with a trilobutt in it? From Waldron? I like it.

BTW you posted that tooth case already, above.

Sorry.  I re-identified the Hastalis Mako tooth, as such; because there are no serrations present.  It's smooth, so it's not really a Great White.

Someone else stepped in and identified the Crinoid fossil.  It's so much nicer than what I've found in Mississippi.  It's a Calyx, of a Eucalyptocrinites Crassus, with a Trilobite Pygidium attached.

Edited by Rock Hound

Every Otodus Tooth I have so far; viewed from the Prey-Facing side.  I wish I had a few really nice large ones, but I appreciate the ones I do have.  I would have been such an excited teenager, back in the day.

20220610_044534_(1).jpg

20220610_050255_(1).jpg

Edited by Rock Hound

• 2 weeks later...

I decided, that i "needed" a nice Ammonite; so I looked around online for a couple of weeks, and finally decided upon this polished one.  The price was very reasonable, too.  Now I'm waiting through a holiday weekend, for it to ship and deliver.....  About 3" x 3.5" in the pictures.  It will definitely, be my most attractive fossil.

SS853492_(2).jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Be aware that lighting makes a huge difference, with polished Ammonites.  In the seller's website pictures, it looked more Green; but I bought it anyway, because it had great preservation.  Then when it arrived, it doesn't really look green; it's more of the color I prefer on these.  Compare these pictures, to the picture in my previous post.  Weird?

20220624_145154_(1).jpg

20220624_145124_(1).jpg

• Enjoyed 1

• 2 months later...

I haven't gotten much new stuff lately, but I did arrange some Otodus Obliquus Shark Teeth, in a simulated dentition; to show to kids, who show interest in Sharks.  Most of these teeth, measure 1.25 inches to 1.5 inches.  Nothing superb, but when you help someone envision what a mouth full of medium size shark teeth actually looks like; it can be a little bit impressive to them.  It inspires interest it Sharks.

20220828_010031_(1).jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Hi,

It seems to me that your teeth are upside down (interior views of shark mouth) : we see their lingual face, whereas we should see the labial face on a dental simulation.

That said, it’s a nice job and I don’t know the dental formula of Otodus, are there symphysar or parasyphysar positions? What do very lateral teeth look like ? @MarcoSr

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

On 8/28/2022 at 2:49 AM, Rock Hound said:

I haven't gotten much new stuff lately, but I did arrange some Otodus Obliquus Shark Teeth, in a simulated dentition; to show to kids, who show interest in Sharks.  Most of these teeth, measure 1.25 inches to 1.5 inches.  Nothing superb, but when you help someone envision what a mouth full of medium size shark teeth actually looks like; it can be a little bit impressive to them.  It inspires interest it Sharks.

20220828_010031_(1).jpg

4 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

It seems to me that your teeth are upside down (interior views of shark mouth) : we see their lingual face, whereas we should see the labial face on a dental simulation.

That said, it’s a nice job and I don’t know the dental formula of Otodus, are there symphysar or parasyphysar positions? What do very lateral teeth look like ? @MarcoSr

Coco

You have some really nice teeth.  You have both anterior and lateral teeth in your dentition, but no posterior teeth.   Also, you have upper and lower teeth in the wrong jaw and have anterior and lateral teeth misplaced.  Check out elasmo.com for a reconstructed O. obliquus dentition to use as a guide.  On the elasmo.com home page click on the "Fossil TOOTH-SETS" icon.  Then select O. obliquus from the drop-down menu, which is top-right.  You should see the below dentition.  If you click on each individual tooth in this dentition, you will see a blow-up with different views of that tooth.

image.png.f976fde6d28ceb3a87c6c5594c1e83e1.png

Also, as Coco states you are showing your dentition in the lingual view instead of the labial view.  Coco is also correct that O. obliquus has both upper and lower symphyseal/parasymphyseal teeth, which aren't shown in the elasmo.com dentition.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

On 8/29/2022 at 7:30 AM, MarcoSr said:

You have some really nice teeth.  You have both anterior and lateral teeth in your dentition, but no posterior teeth.   Also, you have upper and lower teeth in the wrong jaw and have anterior and lateral teeth misplaced.  Check out elasmo.com for a reconstructed O. obliquus dentition to use as a guide.  On the elasmo.com home page click on the "Fossil TOOTH-SETS" icon.  Then select O. obliquus from the drop-down menu, which is top-right.  You should see the below dentition.  If you click on each individual tooth in this dentition, you will see a blow-up with different views of that tooth.

image.png.f976fde6d28ceb3a87c6c5594c1e83e1.png

Also, as Coco states you are showing your dentition in the lingual view instead of the labial view.  Coco is also correct that O. obliquus has both upper and lower symphyseal/parasymphyseal teeth, which aren't shown in the elasmo.com dentition.

Marco Sr.

Thanks, to both of you; for your input.  I was aware that I was showing the internal view, and not the prey facing view.  I also knew, that I was just guessing at the placement, and trying to arrange a "mouthful of shark teeth" that kids could actually touch; vs something in a museum display.

On 5/6/2022 at 2:39 AM, Rock Hound said:

An unknown Vertebra, from an unknown location.  It was part of a deceased person's collection.  No documentation.  Definitely a fossil.  Heavy like a small brick.  The only suggestion I've received, is that it's possibly from an unknown reptile.

20220506_042527_(1).jpg

20220506_042441_(1).jpg

20220506_042356_(1).jpg

It looks like the centrum of a Mosasaur vertebra.

Some examples for reference:

2010-05-23-219-800.jpg

2010-05-23-220-800.jpg

Tera-mosasaur.jpg

1 hour ago, Meatasaurus93 said:

It looks like the centrum of a Mosasaur vertebra.

Some examples for reference:

2010-05-23-219-800.jpg

2010-05-23-220-800.jpg

Tera-mosasaur.jpg

Thank you.  Your input on that fossil, is most appreciated.

I want to say, that I have appreciated all the input people have offered.  I have zero people to discuss this hobby with locally, aside from my own father.  I am probably also; the only person he can share this hobby with locally, as well. 

We do not have good fossil hunting nearby, and i mean within 50 to 75 miles of us.  My father has encouraged me, to just buy fossils at this point in our lives.  It is certainly the quicker way, to grow a collection.