Help with possible egg

Posey82

Found this in the Olcmulgee River shed after lots of rain from up North so I'm in Middle Georgia it's possible it could have come down from further north. Background  in last picture is a standard index card for true size comparison

16526308897355913268835298897295.jpg

16526309452656247036879053148271.jpg

1652631095792199834176298876644.jpg

Edited by Posey82

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

Your specimen is showing off a nice egg-shape, unfortunately, its not an egg. It es missing a typical egg shell texture.

It could be some sort of concretion, possibly a limonitized pyrite/marcasite concretion, but this "diagnosis" is very far from save!

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 2

In the first photo there is an area towards the bottom that hints at the thickness of the "shell". Compare that to the thickness of a modern chicken egg shell compared to its size. Your "egg" is about 1/3 the size of a chicken egg. The embryo would need a jackhammer to break out through an eggshell this thick. This is only one of the many reasons that it is not an egg. As Franz mentioned, the texture is wrong as well. It is a very cool rock, though, and I would have also picked it up and kept it.

• I Agree 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Thank you both for the information I'm new to this so it's always good to learn some techniques to help me iD in the future. The stone just really stood out to me cuz it was the only shape similar to that in the whole area  even though it's not an egg

you guys think there might be something inside of it if it's cracked open like a fossil perhaps? Also I did find this pretty specimen today as well so it was a good day

16526479701225431480528989317774.jpg

16526480128676755816785455059380.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

I agree with Franz. I'm leaning toward marcasite, but I could be wrong. If you crack it open, there will be no fossils, I suppose.:)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, Posey82 said:

Thank you both for the information I'm new to this so it's always good to learn some techniques to help me iD in the future. The stone just really stood out to me cuz it was the only shape similar to that in the whole area  even though it's not an egg

you guys think there might be something inside of it if it's cracked open like a fossil perhaps? Also I did find this pretty specimen today as well so it was a good day

Not probable. I would keep it as-is just on its own merit. Now the new one that you found has a good probability of having more fossils if split open. The question you have to ask is: "Do I want to take the chance of ruining the nice pecten I found to gamble that there's something better inside?". I would hold off until I have found a better pecten, and only then consider cracking this one open.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!