Monster Plesiosaur Verts

DanJeavs

I said to myself at the start of the year, I’d try to find more bone, rather than just ammonites. Well, last week I hit the jackpot of rarities here on the Yorkshire coast. Plesiosaur vertebrae. Now, marine reptile bone is quite rare here as a whole, Ichthyosaur comes out every now and then, but plesiosaur, pliosaur, and crocodile are MUCH rarer. So imagine my shock when I see a vert, pick it up, and it’s plesi. Then, I find a second, that slots on perfect, then, a third about ten metres away that also fits together. 6AF4ECB3-FD14-4CD3-A8F6-3D1CFC1DE515.thumb.jpeg.860b9dbd46ea7cf26ede35085c1b28bc.jpegStraight onto the beach they went. 
I penned off the little shale matrix the had one them, then it was straight into the blasting cabinet to be abraded. I can’t even over exaggerate how easy this prep was. First vert took a total of twenty minutes of abrading and was finished. 5541C3FC-D8E6-423A-BBE3-45014594DB54.thumb.jpeg.c262d407931fd1eba4fda66447f6e9e1.jpegSecond vert took about the same amount, and the third took around an hour due to some pyrite limestone, that seemed to because from a bivalve that are washed inbetween the rib attatchments. 596BFCBD-8F96-498E-AE90-D90CC38AFEF7.thumb.jpeg.f8ec877d4ac9e8c5622c3bf5d26927d4.jpegThe preservation is ridiculously good, like, you don’t get much better for here. 
I have been back today to see if any

More have come down, but my trip was fruitless (picked up plenty of ammonites of course). I think they’re sat in the cliff going inwards, so just a case of waiting for them to fall, they’re around 50ft up in the cliffs I believe. Hopefully I’ll get more soon! A1E6BD54-A064-4C22-9D23-94198211A1AB.thumb.jpeg.5f5504a54d5aaf78fe06eb7052d68cda.jpeg

• Enjoyed 11

Deserving of a chance to win fossil of the month. Just a thought!!

wow, incredible! I was there several times, really... To find one vertebrae is rare, a good one very rare, three very good ones fitting together..., fantastic!!!

I've seen @LiamL find quite a bit of fossil bone on the Yorkshire coast around Whitby, but I don't think I've ever seen him pulling anything off this sort off! :o That's an absolutely stunning row of vertebrae! As you said, the preservation is just wonderful! Sizeable beastie too, seeing as these are cervicals. Who knows, with a bit of luck the skull might still be up in that cliff as well...! :D

12 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Deserving of a chance to win fossil of the month. Just a thought!!

Awesome find! And I agree, definitely FotM-material :default_clap2:

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Well done finding those, couldn't have fallen into better hands. Prepped and fettled within the day!

I am not sure how much it would be niggling away at me that there could be a head about to pop out the cliff there! Straight down like a shot after any sign of rain!

• I Agree 1