Oysters and Epic Bivalve Find with My Son

RCD

Brought my son out to my new secret spot in Contra Costa County, SF East Bay Area, CA (thankfully NOT within any park boundaries). The spot is a deep creek bed around a border where Eocene (Tdu/Domingene form.) and Early Cretaceous (Kbs) meet. There are lots of nice gastropod fossils in large masses of sandstone, a few brachiopods here and there, but my favorites are the many quite large bivalve fossils and whole oyster fossils we found. Today my son spotted a really nice cluster of large bivalves peaking out the wall of the creek bed, and he found another whole oyster! He was so thrilled. 

IMG_1438.JPG

IMG_1441.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

IMG_1462.JPG

IMG_1455.JPG

IMG_1457.JPG

IMG_1458.JPG

IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1460.JPG

IMG_1452.JPG

IMG_1453.JPG

IMG_1454.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG

• Enjoyed 7

Nice find, it reminds me of a multi-shell chunk I found up here in my local Cretaceous (in a creek also) some years ago.

(I assume you're in the Eocene there as opposed to the Lower Cretaceous?) The oyster doesn't look complete to my eye, but it's a find nonetheless. Do you have any pics of the brachiopods?

3 hours ago, RCD said:

IMG_1441.JPG

This photo says it all!

You really must print and frame this. You will thank me later :)

• I Agree 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

11 hours ago, hemipristis said:

This photo says it all!

You really must print and frame this. You will thank me later :)

Absolutely! Thanks for the comment :)

12 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Nice find, it reminds me of a multi-shell chunk I found up here in my local Cretaceous (in a creek also) some years ago.

(I assume you're in the Eocene there as opposed to the Lower Cretaceous?) The oyster doesn't look complete to my eye, but it's a find nonetheless. Do you have any pics of the brachiopods?

Having shucked a lot of oysters in my day, I'm certain the one is definitely complete, and the other probably is too except for a chunk missing, it's just one of those really flat oysters but there is a bulge in the middle you can see in profile . The area is right on a border between Eocene and Lower Cretaceous. Regarding brachiopods there, actually, I think what I found may be a limpet, which is a gastropod? not a brachiopod? I'll have to edit my original post, and I'll put this up in the I.D. forum too. Thanks! 

IMG_1361.JPEG

Well it has to be one or the other, Eocene or Lower Cretaceous... My guess is the former, by the fossils, but I've been wrong before....

Yes, a limpet is a type of gastropod. If you show it we can probably tell you.