Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

Pristis sp. (rostral spine of a sawfish)
Late Oligocene
Chandler Bridge Formation
Summerville, Dorchester County, South Carolina
just over 2 3/4 inches (70mm) long

Anoxypristis sp. (rostral spine of a sawfish)
Late Oligocene
Lower Hawthorne Formation
Seminole Springs, Lake County, Florida

These specimens belong to two separate genera of sawfishes we still see today.  There were several genera of sawfishes across much of the Cretaceous but they belonged to an unrelated order of batoids (rays) and the last of them died out at the end of the period.  Sawfishes of the Pristiformes appeared at the beginning of the Eocene.  They are known from tiny teeth, vertebrae, and their distinctive rostral spines (or teeth).  These spines point laterally from an extended rostrum (snout) which is a lethal weapon of offense in disabling and killing prey and defense from anything trying to catch the animal.  The spines of Pristis often have a wooden-like quality and bear a groove down the posterior side.  The spines of Anoxypristis are flatter and double-edged, lacking the groove and tend to be smaller.  Both genera still live today but are becoming endangered.

oligo_saws.jpg

Edited by siteseer
additional notes
  • Enjoyed 4

2 hours ago, siteseer said:

You could still find a few good footprints from the area back in the early-mid 90's.  A friend bought a killer specimen and sold it to a museum.  Even back then, you had to wait for some old collection pieces to come up for sale but sometimes a group would become available because a collector had a few of them.  I haven't seen one for sale in years.

That looks like a great one, Ralph.

Jess

Thanks Jess- I have always loved it.

Pogonias cf P. cromis, black drum,  upper mouth plate, Pliocene, Florida, USA 

Pagonias Pliocene.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

9 hours ago, Paleorunner said:

ice age Woolly rhinoceros vertebra. North Sea.

IMG_20221106_205945753.thumb.jpg.b4e0296181134c3e039ec82fbc5599fe.jpg

That's a honker!  You could use that as a bookend!

• Enjoyed 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Now I've seen a paper that says these fossils from the Long Mynd in Shropshire are just bubbles/abiogenic features but I'm going to post this anyway. (It may be at least a microbial mat, and I'm not sure the bubbles would form quite like this without the presence of microbes... I don't have the paper handy to check)

Sold as (cf.) Beltanelliformis sp, Upper Ediacaran/ Longmyndian regional stage, Upper Bayston Beds, Bayston, Shropshire, England.

Beltanelliformis, Bayston Shropshire-shr.jpg

Edited by Wrangellian
  • Enjoyed 5

54 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Stalled at the Precambrian again?

I must confess, I haven’t been posting any Ediacaran material because I’ve been enjoying the suspense of seeing who will post something new lol! You have yet to disappoint, just how many Ediacaran fossils do you have left now?:zzzzscratchchin:

1 hour ago, PR0GRAM said:

I must confess, I haven’t been posting any Ediacaran material because I’ve been enjoying the suspense of seeing who will post something new lol! You have yet to disappoint, just how many Ediacaran fossils do you have left now?:zzzzscratchchin:

Thanks... scraping the bottom of the barrel now. I do have more stromatolites I could show but as I said, my camera is still not fixed and all I've got are my old photos that I've posted elsewhere before, many of which I'm sure I could improve on with a new lens.

I like the colors on that agnostid. :dinothumb:

Edited by Wrangellian

8 hours ago, hemipristis said:

That's a honker!  You could use that as a bookend!

In the absence of space to display it, the bookend is a good idea....:BigSmile:

Carboniferous period. Pennsylvanian. Moscovian/Kasimovian boundary. Francis Creek Shale member overlying the Colchester Coal, Carbondale Formation. Mazon Creek of NE Illinois, USA. 307 million years old.

1130066266_E0001Crenulopterisacadica.thumb.JPG.5f5d3eb4a68f1383ba2344e57270a50e.JPG

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
fix typo
  • Enjoyed 7

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

40 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Carboniferous period. Pennsylvanian. Moscovian/Kasimovian boundary. Francis Creek Shale member overlying the Colchester Coal, Carbondale Formation. Mazon Creek of NE Illinois, USA. 307 million years old.

1130066266_E0001Crenulopterisacadica.thumb.JPG.5f5d3eb4a68f1383ba2344e57270a50e.JPG

I will add one onto your post from the same location-

Tullimonstrum gregarium-

9B71F38B-3BDB-4587-9734-1017492A8EE2.thumb.jpeg.f7d06073cf6f97784bbc384ce6a6976a.jpeg

• Enjoyed 9

2 hours ago, Nimravis said:

I will add one onto your post from the same location-

Tullimonstrum gregarium-

9B71F38B-3BDB-4587-9734-1017492A8EE2.thumb.jpeg.f7d06073cf6f97784bbc384ce6a6976a.jpeg

HOLY S$#?

That is a gorgeous Tully! Head, tail, mouth, AND do I spy… eye spot pigment?!?

Wow, beautiful specimen!

1 hour ago, Paleorunner said:

Stromatolite of the Cenomanian Cretaceous sandstones. Sahara desert - Morocco.

I don’t have a paper at the moment to cite, however, I’ve seen these also commonly called concretions. Do you know if there has been any definitive conclusion as to what these are? Regardless this is a beautiful piece, I haven’t seen very many this large pop up!

• I Agree 1