Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

Carcharocles megalodon, Miocene Choptank (?) Formation, collected at the Matoaka Cabins locale, St Leonard, Calvert County, Maryland. USA

Megalodon.jpg

Edited by hemipristis
  • Enjoyed 7

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

18 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Mammal Brain Endocasts

White River Badllands

Scenic, South Dakota

Oligocene

8AD05F66-4120-4109-A51A-94772C1221D4.thumb.jpeg.07fc0b04c5be67ff1d3c003a37d4e13c.jpeg

You really need to display these in a liquid-filled jar!  LOL

• Enjoyed 1

George Santayana

Just now, JamieLynn said:

I was JUST ABOUT TO POST a Meg!! You beat me by 2 seconds...

I'm sorry!

• Enjoyed 1

George Santayana

Round 10 is finished,

Congratulations @Kasia, you have won the competition! 

There's been loads of great fossils, with a total of 26 contributors and 148 Points!

The topic will continue as normal now, with the Precambrian / Cambrian up next. :)

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 2

Congrats, @Kasia!

1 hour ago, Pleuromya said:

The topic will continue as normal now

Oh no ;)!

I will give a prize after Christmas, next deadline is, lets say, December 31st 2022, 23:59 MEZ/CET.

Prize as usual, ugly Kainach Gosau fossils, have stocked up a little bit last Sunday.

- One point for each entry in correct order, but only if somebody else has posted before (in other words, only one point for a series of entries).

- Extra point for size!

- Extra point for how and when obtained (both info needed, year is ok)!

- Extra point or two for some explanation what we are seeing (subjective decision ;)).

Have fun!
Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • Enjoyed 3
  • Thank You 1

6 minutes ago, rocket said:

Protomedusa, Hunan-Country, China, Ediacarian

Want to claim some extra points? See above ;)!
Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

On 11/19/2022 at 5:30 AM, rocket said:

so, next round, Precambrian

Protomedusa, Hunan-Country, China, Ediacarian

8999_Protomeduse.thumb.jpg.7b1ec80d4a27a87410829fd2159c9138.jpg

Do you have any additional info on this? I swear I’ve looked through hundreds of papers and contacted a museum that has one of these.

Yet I’ve come up with NO information on these, it’s been soooo frustrating!!!

2 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

- Extra point for size!

- Extra point or two for some explanation what we are seeing (subjective decision ;)).

Have fun!
Franz Bernhard

As the posts move fast, you and the calculator are going to have a lot of work.... :heartylaugh:

• I Agree 1

8 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Want to claim some extra points? See above ;)!
Franz Bernhard

why not, I love extra points

the shown medusae is might be one of the rares ediacarian fossil you will see. Only a small site was open 40 years ago, might be 150 came on the market. Aged Ediacarium, found in Jin Jia , Yu Pu County, Hunan-Province. There was some discussion in the 80th if it belongs to Primocandelabrum, might be, I do not know exactly. I will post some more next time, we had the luck to get some with other details

Edited by rocket
  • I found this Informative 5

On 11/19/2022 at 2:03 AM, FranzBernhard said:

Congrats, @Kasia!

Oh no ;)!

I will give a prize after Christmas, next deadline is, lets say, December 31st 2022, 23:59 MEZ/CET.

Prize as usual, ugly Kainach Gosau fossils, have stocked up a little bit last Sunday.

- One point for each entry in correct order, but only if somebody else has posted before (in other words, only one point for a series of entries).

- Extra point for size!

Have fun!
Franz Bernhard

Yeah, it would be great if some posts provided the size.  Is it a foot long or half an inch?

Also, some posts just say something like "Cretaceous of California."  The Cretaceous lasted 70 million years.  is it early Cretaceous or Late Cretaceous.  California is a big state.  Provide the nearest town or at least the county.  Provide the formation when known.  Show the new kids what a good fossil label looks like when you can.

I know everybody is busy especially this time of year and sometimes the clock is ticking toward something you need to do so you're posting as fast as you can.  This thread seems to have slowed down so go ahead an take your time if there's more to say and you have the time (or write it up ahead of time).

Edited by siteseer
  • I Agree 6

I agree about the labels/information: a fossil without its info is a paperweight or a doorstop, depending on size!  If you show a fossil without the info, inevitably someone like me will come along and ask for it, so why not include it in the post, if you have it? The 4 main bits of info are name, age, formation and location. The last is the most important, and the others can often be determined from that (if specific enough).

(This for the benefit of anyone who may be new or unaware, and not just for this topic... I don't mean to beat it to death)

I am low on Silurian material and no pics handy of the few I do have, so I can't help move it along yet...

Ok. I'll start things off here following Franz's new instructions, mainly because I find it a good suggestion as siteseer has already mentioned.

This is a photo of a chunk of crinoid hash which I found in Nov.2004 dumped at a construction site in Caledon East, On., close to my brother's place where I was staying at the time. He actually noticed it first and told me about it. I packed away a good number of pieces, this one measuring 20x15x8cm. I wasn't completely certain what it could be, but the friends here soon identified the fossils as crinoids. It was quite a bit more difficult finding out the provenance until I thought to ask Bill Hessin. He was certain that the pieces originated from a quarry in Milton, On., not at all that distant, where the stratigraphy reads Gasport/Anabel Formation, Lockport Group, Middle Silurian. The only thing he couldn't do was to identify it, so it remains to date as Crinoid gen. et sp. indet. in my collection.

PS. I'm trying to upload the photo now, but although I've tried several times the usual way, all I get is an error notice: "Sorry, an unknown server error occurred when uploading this file."

Now I got it!

C16.1.thumb.jpg.8775d1dd852693abc4a546004473c22f.jpg

Edited by Ludwigia
  • Enjoyed 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

The image host may be down right now, it will probably work better a little later ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Until the image host is back up....  :)

_____
       .'` ,-. `'.
      /   ([ ])   \
     /.-""`(`)`""-.\
      <'```(.)```'>
      <'```(.)```'>
       <'``(.)``'>
        <``\_/``>
         `'---'`
  • Enjoyed 9

Context is critical.