A new, complete family tree of Cephalopoda

Bringing Fossils to Life

Very interesting. Lots of research went into this, I see. 

What are the two unlabelled coleod groups that exist today? Squids and cuttlefish?   

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

This is very interesting, I never knew cephalopods hated mass extinctions and just went extinct during minor ones. Out of the 21 orders that went extinct only 3 died during a mass extinction.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

3 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Out of the 21 orders that went extinct only 3 died during a mass extinction.

I am wondering about the Ammonitida!

Franz Bernhard

23 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

I am wondering about the Ammonitida!

Franz Bernhard

Over a year ago I had asked about the exact placement of the Cretaceous, Paleogene border, this thread and @Jeffrey P said,

In New Jersey there is the Pinna Layer which lies right above the iridium. This roughly foot thick layer of clay contains a "Cretaceous" fossil assemblage that includes ammonites and baculites (well over a 100 invertebrate species in all) that appear to have survived the asteroid impact for at least a few years though it is unclear how long. It has been theorized that during this time due to the sharp reduction in sunlight, micro organisms were rapidly dying off and sinking down through the water column creating a temporary food surplus for the macro fauna that survived until this food source was exhausted and the entire ecosystem collapsed.  Above this layer, fossils are scarce, the beginning of the Paleogene. 

So I wouldn't be surprised if this existed elsewhere, and possibly longer in other places.

Edit: I found this about an area in Denmark.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/261359356_Evidence_for_ammonite_survival_into_the_Danian_Paleogene_from_the_Cerithium_Limestone_at_Stevns_Klint_Denmark 

Edited by Top Trilo
  • I found this Informative 3

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

"Dead clades walking." 

They were extinct, just didn't know it yet. :D

Edited by Tidgy's Dad
  • Enjoyed 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I'm sorry about Sepiida and Teuthida! Here is an updated version with their labels. Thank you all so much! As Top Trilo said, the Ammonoids survived after the K-T mass extinction, for about 4.3 Ma., or so the PBDB says. I've found to be careful on the PBDB, though, because sometimes they don't update their classification or include Ammonitids with Goniatitic sutures with the Goniatites and greatly lengthen the order's existence.

834085865_Cephalopodfamilytree.png

Also I fixed the misspelling of Cephalopoda ("Cephalpoda").