For the invert crowd Peace river echinoids and sand dollar

hoffy

These are so hard find in the Peace River. I've only found one echinoid and small chunks of sand dollars in 20+ years then kabóom 4 echinoids and 2 complete sand dollars. The sand dollar maybe Melitta Carolinas I'm sure I did not spell that correctly. As soon I manufacture some extra time these and more are gong to FLMNH.

20220517_182057.jpg

20220517_180109.jpg

20220517_182513.jpg

20220517_182204.jpg

20220517_182131.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

Awesome finds! Can't wait to see what they look like cleaned up!

• Thank You 1

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

Crikey! Very nice, but are those easy to prep? 

• Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Impressive! Members drool over the vertebrate and shark material the Peace produces. But to me the Echinoids are much more uncommon and noteworthy. Maybe I just have been in the wrong place at the wrong time to never have found any! Thanks for posting.

Mike

• Thank You 1

5 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

They are definitely NOT easy to prep... @Coco and @Sacha likely have better experience! That matrix is like concrete....

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

Maybe I just have been in the wrong place at the wrong time to never have found any!

They are really only somewhat common at a few points along the river--possibly exposures of older Eocene limestone. There is a site just a little ways upstream from Arcadia called the Dollar Tree as sand dollars are frequently found at a spot in the river where there has been a downed tree for several years. Only place I've ever found echinoids and acorn barnacles in the Peace.

21 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

They are definitely NOT easy to prep... @Coco and @Sacha likely have better experience! That matrix is like concrete....

Yup. It can seem as if the encrustations have been superglued onto the echinoids. Might possibly have some success using muriatic (hydrochloric) acid applied with a dropper or small paint brush to a tiny part of the encrustation, let it fizz for a few seconds and then douse in fresh water to dilute. This might be enough to loosen the bond between the shell hash and the echinoid test. I've had some luck with this process on echinoids from the Ocala Limestone. Muriatic acid can be obtained at the big-box home improvement stores near the cleaning products and other chemicals. It is normally used to clean up mortar splatter from masonry.

Cheers.

-Ken

Hi,

I quite agree with @digit but I would advise to soak the sea urchin in the water so that it is well soaked before using the acid, because calcite eats calcium carbonate very quickly.

In my region, towards Doué-la-Fontaine for those who know the name, the scutels are so dirty that generally they could only be cleaned by polishing them...

Coco

• I Agree 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

11 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I washed off the loose material, the rest is extremely hard. I sent pics to FLMNH to see if they were interested in them before I possibly broke them. They use air abrasion to clean these, so I'm donating them and they will clean them. I'm attaching a pic of one more.

4 hours ago, digit said:

They are really only somewhat common at a few points along the river--possibly exposures of older Eocene limestone. There is a site just a little ways upstream from Arcadia called the Dollar Tree as sand dollars are frequently found at a spot in the river where there has been a downed tree for several years Only place I've ever found echinoids and acorn barnacles in the Peace.

Yup. It can seem as if the encrustations have been superglued onto the echinoids. Might possibly have some success using muriatic (hydrochloric) acid applied with a dropper or small paint brush to a tiny part of the encrustation, let it fizz for a few seconds and then douse in fresh water to dilute. This might be enough to loosen the bond between the shell hash and the echinoid test. I've had some luck with this process on echinoids from the Ocala Limestone. Muriatic acid can be obtained at the big-box home improvement stores near the cleaning products and other chemicals. It is normally used to clean up mortar splatter from masonry.

Cheers.

-Ken

@digit I know that spot those are the arrow head shaped sand dollars like you can find off Venice. Maybe I'll run into you when ever I make to Gainesville to donate some fossils. 

6 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Impressive! Members drool over the vertebrate and shark material the Peace produces. But to me the Echinoids are much more uncommon and noteworthy. Maybe I just have been in the wrong place at the wrong time to never have found any! Thanks for posting.

Mike

Mike I also found a mammoth tooth same day. Sometimes it all comes together. It was the first time I ever took our dog on the boat...good luck?

IMG_20220603_161138041_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220603_161548268.jpg

• Enjoyed 3