Nemegt "raptor" tooth.

Neovenator

Hi there. I'm looking at this tooth listed here as coming from the Nemegt Formation. I'm curious as to what everyone else makes of it. The seller states it is a "raptor" tooth but is unable to make any further guesses, I feel that is quite far from accurate but Nemegt is a blind spot for me.

I know a picture like this is far too unclear, but I feel the morphology of this tooth is interesting enough against the seller's I.D.

It's a bit late right now so I'm not going to hit the literature for the time being. I will say that the term raptor being used over any taxonomical nomenclature is enough to trigger my scepticism irrespective of their reasoning.

1731924311_Screenshot(2).png.96b7ce0c6fbad7268a2934bee57d54fb.png

Edited by Neovenator

Might need some clearer pictures but it’s certainly not a dromaeosaurid tooth. What’s the size of it?

Yep better photos both sides, might be just the tip of a theropod.  Agree not Dromaeosaurid(raptor).  Does the seller have a locality where it was found?

1 hour ago, Kikokuryu said:

Looks like a Triassic pytosaur tooth.

Funny, I was about to say the same thing. 

• Enjoyed 1

10 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

Funny, I was about to say the same thing. 

I thought it looked like a number of other archosaurs before any dinosaurs.

12 hours ago, Troodon said:

Yep better photos both sides, might be just the tip of a theropod.  Agree not Dromaeosaurid(raptor).  Does the seller have a locality where it was found?

I've contacted the seller to see what else he can provide. Not least of all the measurements. I thought it MIGHT be the tip of a theropod tooth but it has some odd symmetry. I'll see if I can't get better pictures from the seller.