Nemegt Dinosaur claw

Dinocollector

Hi! I see this dinosaur claw for sale from Mongolia.

I asked around and it could be ornithomimid.

Any idea about specie? Posible other dinosaur?

Thank you so much!

637ACB0E-D7CC-4E24-9324-1CDC605B3ACA.jpeg

D28C7E45-FDEF-47D9-BD4B-D1D4F39CFEC0.jpeg

6442D9E8-1577-43FE-A72F-7391919CF883.jpeg

Not a claw I'm familiar with and one that is not similar with other late cretaceous claws from North America.  Its not Gallimimus, Tyrannosaurid, Dromaeosaurid or Alvarezsaurid.  I dont think its a Therizinosaurid but there are a few ornithomimsaurs and Oviraptorids that I have not seen much published.  Has the seller provided you a locality that insures its from the Nemegt Fm.    I say that because the Nemegt basin holds 3 major Cretaceous formations Nemegt, Barun Goyot, and Djadochta Formations.  Interesting claw.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Not a claw I'm familiar with and one that is not similar with other late cretaceous claws from North America.  Its not Gallimimus, Tyrannosaurid, Dromaeosaurid or Alvarezsaurid.  I dont think its a Therizinosaurid but there are a few ornithomimsaurs and Oviraptorids that I have not seen much published.  Has the seller provided you a locality that insures its from the Nemegt Fm.    I say that because the Nemegt basin holds 3 major Cretaceous formations Nemegt, Barun Goyot, and Djadochta Formations.  Interesting claw.

Hi!

thanks @Troodon

I asked the seller again and he told me Nemegt formation.

So Oviraptorid or Ornithomimid?

Thanks!

The Nemegt Fm is not a locality but a Formation. 

So since the seller does know where it came from you have to question if it's from the Nemegt Formation.  No I did not say it's Oviraptoroid or Ornithomimsaurus just indicated they were present.  

Will point out that export of dinosaurs and other fossils from Mongolia is strictly illegal and has been since 1924. Unless you have clear evidence this is from a historical collection (and it seems you do not) it is most likely this was smuggled out of the country. I would highly recommend staying away from this fossil for that reason.

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

I thought preservation looked a bit Moroccan. Im not familiar with Nemegt claws, but it looks similar preservation to this turtle claw from Morocco.

Screenshot_20220608-153707_eBay.jpg

13 hours ago, jdp said:

Will point out that export of dinosaurs and other fossils from Mongolia is strictly illegal and has been since 1924. Unless you have clear evidence this is from a historical collection (and it seems you do not) it is most likely this was smuggled out of the country. I would highly recommend staying away from this fossil for that reason.

Hi thanks!

the claw it’s from a very old collection.

Yes I know that…

5 hours ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

I thought preservation looked a bit Moroccan. Im not familiar with Nemegt claws, but it looks similar preservation to this turtle claw from Morocco.

Screenshot_20220608-153707_eBay.jpg

Hi.

Yes the preservation looks similar but it’s from Mongolia sure.

There are different preservations in Mongolia.

Some claw are more white and others like this one yellow.

17 hours ago, Troodon said:

The Nemegt Fm is not a locality but a Formation. 

So since the seller does know where it came from you have to question if it's from the Nemegt Formation.  No I did not say it's Oviraptoroid or Ornithomimsaurus just indicated they were present.  

Hi again.

The seller told me that it’s from Bügiin Tsav.

He thought that it could  a Deinocheirus baby claw… but no sure.

I can not find nothing published…

1 hour ago, Dinocollector said:

Hi thanks!

the claw it’s from a very old collection.

Yes I know that…

Most sellers of illegally smuggled fossils will say they are “from very old collections.” Without proof, it was likely smuggled.

• I found this Informative 2

Just for reference, the first discoveries of dinosaur bones in the Nemegt were made in 1923, a year before those laws were passed, and many/most of the specimens Roy Chapman Andrews sent back to the AMNH were of dubious legal provenance. There are basically no legally exported dinosaur fossils from Mongolia, so if you see a fossil claiming to be Mongolian, it is either being misrepresented or is smuggled. In either case, if there is not original documentation from before 1924, you are buying a smuggled fossil and have legal exposure. The Mongolian government is very aggressive about seeking repatriation of their fossils and is experienced in navigating various legal systems.

Hope this helps.

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, jdp said:

Just for reference, the first discoveries of dinosaur bones in the Nemegt were made in 1923, a year before those laws were passed, and many/most of the specimens Roy Chapman Andrews sent back to the AMNH were of dubious legal provenance. There are basically no legally exported dinosaur fossils from Mongolia, so if you see a fossil claiming to be Mongolian, it is either being misrepresented or is smuggled. In either case, if there is not original documentation from before 1924, you are buying a smuggled fossil and have legal exposure. The Mongolian government is very aggressive about seeking repatriation of their fossils and is experienced in navigating various legal systems.

Hope this helps.

Hello.
Well the truth is that here I have exposed a claw to try to find out to which animal it belonged and that we can all learn and debate.
Many of the fossils that are for sale are forbidden , such as the fossils of Morocco and we can see them in any market.
I have not said that I am going to buy the fossil, I have simply seen it and asked for opinions.

Thanks for your info!