Repaired, Composite, or Fake Spinosaurus claw? How to spot the signs.

Genetic Algorithm

Good day and thank you for reading! I bought a 7-inch Spinosaurus claw in an auction and was hoping to get a second opinion on the condition and authenticity. I can send it back within a month for a full refund. I am also hoping for some pointers in knowing if is repaired or a composite. I have read many of the forums on here, but I have more questions. The length is 7 inches, but I do not have a ruler at the moment. This fossil is supposedly from the Kem Kem beds in Morocco. Any help is appreciated! Btw I do not have many fossils and plan to display this one to the public at my work if I keep it.

Reasons why I do not think it is a composite or a carving:

The texture and colors match on both ends of claw. They are also appropriate for fossils from Morocco.

The shape and feel are good. Blood grooves follow the correct path.

Reasons why I question if it is repaired or a composite:

The darker brown areas do have a smoother texture and the grain is not visible in the very dark areas. How can you tell if this is substrate or cement/glue?

If it is cement or glue, this piece could have been broken in half at some point, since the darker material has a concentration at the center and the tip.

The blood grooves are not the exact same size on either side, though they are close. One side is wider.

The darker areas do cause some "muddiness" but I cannot tell if it substrate.

It is a bit lighter than I expected, but feels solid and has a similar feel and sound to other fossils when I tap it. The density feels similar to a Spinosaurus tooth, but feel less dense than a megalodon tooth.

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Its very fake, carved/some composite, you should check with us before you buy.  Claws this size should be four figures and some five a red flag if its a cheap.

Put this together might help future purchases

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Thank you for the reply! I can send it back no problem if you are sure. Can you please elaborate what gives it away for you? This one looks better to the untrained eye than the other ones on here that were fake.

The blood groove is all wrong looks carved, the texture the flow of the grain, the joint fill which combines parts.  Oh those gloves seen them lots of times.   See my post.

• I Agree 1

Thanks again! I'll keep trying and post here first next time. I wish there was a way to find reputable sellers easily.

Unfortunately lots of sellers are just not that knowledgeable in how to spot repair, resto and composites.  Buying expensive items online is risky because photos dont tell the entire story and hand examination is required with a good UV light.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

Goodday, yes agree with others its a total forge. Its carved from a piece of bone or multiple, A real claw looks allot different, you will see this once you get really into it. Im looking for a nice one for more than a year now. 

Almost all sellers have sold bad fossils once in a while. 

7inch claws are extremely rare, and very expensive, a piece like this will not just be put on a regular auction. 

Send it back ,and get all of your funds back hopefully.

Goodluck !