Authenticity Amber

dianajones

Hi, I would really appreciate any advice on the following. I recently bought a set of amber on a well-known auction site (sent from Lithuania). I have read up on how to test for authenticity and did a salt water test, the amber floated- so I guess all good there. I then burnt one, it released a nasty chemical/kerosene smell. Is there anything else I can do to check for authenticity? I bought the amber as a graduation gift for my students, so would hate the idea of giving them a piece of plastic!  All advice appreciated. 

IMG_5031.JPG

IMG_5026.JPG

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

33 minutes ago, dianajones said:

I then burnt one, it released a nasty chemical/kerosene smell.

This doesn´t look good, err, doesn´t smell good. Amber gives a pleasant odor upon heating.

And visually, most of the pieces also don´t look good. 

Are you able to get a refund?
Franz Bernhard

• Thank You 1

Thanks Franz, I also don't have a good feeling about them. They weren't exactly cheap either but I wanted to give my pupils something special as they are fab kids! Just glad I found out now, rather than giving them a bit of plastic on their graduation day!!!  I'll take it up with the auction site. Thanks for the advice, Diana

10 minutes ago, dianajones said:

They weren't exactly cheap either

That´s clear! The pieces are not particularly small and selling cheap would be the first red flag! 

11 minutes ago, dianajones said:

I'll take it up with the auction site.

Hope, this works out!

11 minutes ago, dianajones said:

Thanks for the advice,

You are welcome!

54 minutes ago, dianajones said:

as a graduation gift for my students

Why have you chosen amber?

Franz Bernhard

I chose amber as it was part of a gift package based on the idea of "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue". don't know if you know this in Austrai? Something a bride receives on their wedding day- obviously they're not getting married but it is a special occassion and the graduation is in an old church. So the something old I wanted to be a fossil (I love ammonites but my teacher's salary doesn't stretch far enough to buy 20 ammonites), the "something new" are seeds for either a tree or flowers, the "something borrowed" will be some of my favourite books and "the something blue" will be the blue packaging they'll be in. Sorry- long story!! Well that was the idea anyway. Will have to re-think the "something old"

The kerosene or turpentine smell usually comes from Burmese amber, whereas Baltic, Indonesian and others tend to give off a piney scent. Another test would be uv light. Should fluoresce a greenish or blueish hue. Plastic stones wouldn't float in salt water, so I'd say so far, so good.

• I found this Informative 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

3 hours ago, dianajones said:

I chose amber as it was part of a gift package based on the idea of "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue". don't know if you know this in Austrai? Something a bride receives on their wedding day- obviously they're not getting married but it is a special occassion and the graduation is in an old church. So the something old I wanted to be a fossil (I love ammonites but my teacher's salary doesn't stretch far enough to buy 20 ammonites), the "something new" are seeds for either a tree or flowers, the "something borrowed" will be some of my favourite books and "the something blue" will be the blue packaging they'll be in. Sorry- long story!! Well that was the idea anyway. Will have to re-think the "something old"

If you are stuck I can send these over for you? Perisphinctes Ammonites, they are only little, but hey what do you want for free?!!

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

Oh my god, that's so sweet thank you ever so much! I'm still holding out a tiny bit of hope that the amber may be genuine, will try the UV light that Dave suggested, and hopefully will get some refund if not. Have found a recommended seller here in NL through a friend, who has some small pieces of amber for a good price. Once again thanks for the kind offer! Love this forum already.

I'm with dave64. They look about like I would expect them too with the exception of 1 or 2 pieces. Some amber does give off a bad smell when heated. The saltwater test was good. But the blacklight is normally the most accurate and the one I depend on the most. Under blacklight they can floresce a variety of colors with milky greenish or milky bluish as the most Common. But reds are also seen sometimes. Good luck! 

• I found this Informative 1

This becomes very interesting! I thought, it should be Baltic Amber, because it was sent from Lithuania. Well, this need not be the case, of course. Now I took a look - and there is Baltic Amber in the tags.

@dianajones, did the seller give any provenance (country of origin) for these pieces?

Franz Bernhard

Yes, from Lithuania. I have had contact with the seller and they were very adamant that it is 100% genuine. They also (with the exception of one) have very good reviews on the site. So am doubting my original suspicions, maybe it's just me and I can't smell properly, but it certainly doesn't smell like pine fragrance. Monday I have access to a UV light, so will do that check. Thanks for all the help everyone.

• Thank You 1

So they are indeed saying its Baltic Amber? And not from somewhere else?

:headscratch:

Franz Bernhard

I've done the UV test and the amber is turning an opaque yellow colour, with some red speckles (this photo is not a good one sorry). I think it looks okay. Any ideas?

Diana

IMG_5036.JPG

The milky color I see in the picture is about what I’d expect to see. So if its close to what you’re really seeing it looks good.

Thanks for the reply! I am quite confident now that contrary to my initial thoughts, the pieces are in fact genuine. I had a colleague, who is an avid fossil collector, look at them and she was  pretty certain they are authentic. I've learned that smell alone is probably not a good indicator. Thank you all for the help and advice. I'm super happy!