Carcharodontosaurus tooth, being cautious

Looking at a carcharodontosaurus tooth from a seller I've bought from before.  I wouldn't ask opinion except that it's the most I've spent on a fossil.

Per seller:

Minor glue stabilization

Minimal gap fill

Bit of restoration at tip

I see those repairs (at least I think I do, discoloration with loss of serations at tip, yellowish material in crack near the root) but I can't tell if a root is original or not.

206273-3 (1).jpg

206273-4.jpg

Edited by JBkansas

Please remember that any details about the seller are not relevant on The Forum.  Thanks.  ;)

• Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

• JBkansas changed the title to Carcharodontosaurus tooth, being cautious

It's an indet Carcharodontosaurid tooth.   The root is reconstructed so it's been added.    I would steer away from it since not only is the root fake but some of the crown's base may also be missing, hard to say with fake root as well as the very tip looks added. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

This tooth looks okay, do not see any resto.  Tooth broken in middle and reattached. Still a Carcharodontosaurid.

Edited

• Thank You 1

4 minutes ago, Troodon said:

This tooth looks okay, do not see any resto.  Tooth broken in middle and reattached. Still a Carcharodontosaurid.

Edited

Thank you for your help! I think I'm beginning to recognize real roots.

Since I wouldn’t have been able to spot the added root on the first tooth here, I hope it’s okay if I add another Carcharodontosaurid-tooth crown in this thread that I purchased some years ago at a fossil show in Stuttgart. I liked the coloring and the serrations. There are some cracks but none of it is running through the whole tooth so it apparently wasn’t broken. I suppose there is some sand filling at a small spot near were the it broke off from the root and maybe some gap filling with glue. I hope it’s otherwise ok? It was offered es being from the Kem Kem group.

Oddly, I found the very same tooth the next day after I purchased it on an auction site were the seller still offered it, so 2 of the pics are from this auction. Btw the seller said "no restoration whatsoever" but I could deal with some glue.

Thanks for your opinion.

carch1.jpg

carch3.jpg

carch2.jpg

carchscreenshot.jpg

carch6.jpg

Carchscreenshot2.jpg

Tooth looks nice, great color.  It appears to have been broken in three sections and reattached.   There is some crack fill in the lower reattachment and on some general spots.

.Breaks  

1655136786894.jpg.006aef2955825dcb02ffea94bfc1cc72.jpg

This offset on the carina is a puzzle not normal not sure why.  

1655136040126.jpg.f4b0e13df00b93cb7cdba0cd20acce06.jpg

You should use a good UV light to see if other items pop up that are painted.  Won't see fill.

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks Troodon! Tried to take some more hopefully useful pics with the phone. 2 with a simple handheld UV-light which was difficult as the reflections of the light look dark purple on the photo similar to the spots with missing enamel.

carchb1.jpg

carchbuv2.jpg

carchbuv1.jpg

carchb3.jpg

carchb2.jpg

Okay thanks like I indicated but the lower portion might have been split in 2 lengthwise and reattached.   Some spots has the enamel missing.  If not already done I would coat the tooth with some very diluted consolidant like B72, butvar B76 or Vinac to keep those spots from flaking more enamel.  Nice tooth overall great color. 

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks! Now I need to find some tutorial for coating the tooth as I don't think this has been done.

I use vinac but its easy.  50+ to one mix with acetone.  You dont want it too shiny.

• Thank You 1

It’s amazing in some photos the double crease, it looks like a ruler in cm and mm ! I’ve never noticed that before.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

23 hours ago, Vertebrate said:

Thanks for your opinion.

Nice big chunky tooth.

Agree with others, it has been broken and glued back pretty common.

Color is what makes this tooth stand out nice find. 

Serrations are also nicely preserved 

• Thank You 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2022 at 12:29 PM, Troodon said:

I use vinac but its easy.  50+ to one mix with acetone.  You dont want it too shiny.

Would you ever use PVA? Haven't worked with Vinac but seems to be more commonly referenced than pva. Also, how can you tell this is a shed tooth? I've been on the hunt for a really nice Carch tooth for a while but never trust my knowledge enough to pull the trigger on something! 

@AlaskaNick

Sure I use PVA its fine have both. 

Shed teeth perserve only the crown and there is no evidence of the root.  Here is an example.    

Screenshot_20220701-191042_Drive.thumb.jpg.c92452bde6924d51ad5f41c2f58893b6.jpg

9 minutes ago, Troodon said:

@AlaskaNick

Sure I use PVA its fine have both. 

Shed teeth perserve only the crown and there is no evidence of the root.  Here is an example.    

Thanks Troodon, here's a question regarding Carch. tooth roots- in the top photo on this thread you can see that the angle of the tooth edge slightly changes when it transitions from the exposed enamel to the root itself (gum line?)- is that indicative of a fake root or a composite tooth from different specimens? Should the curve/angle of the tooth edges transition perfectly to the root or is it normal for that angle to change at the root line?

9 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Ive already indicated that the root  to some degree is fabricated so not a good example since its hard to say whats been done.  Here are examples of what the crown/root transition should look like in Carch teeth.

The better the preservation the higher the likelihood you will be able to determine if its real. 

Screenshot_20220701-194243_Drive.thumb.jpg.1909b0cb6253434943ea2bdfb4e5c95c.jpg

Screenshot_20220701-194321_Drive.thumb.jpg.afbd909e655ec143bc953046edd9bf98.jpg

Screenshot_20220701-194349_Drive.thumb.jpg.66a18a591ae2e50a7f95deef1c2cfc08.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

7 hours ago, AlaskaNick said:

Would you ever use PVA? Haven't worked with Vinac but seems to be more commonly referenced than pva. Also, how can you tell this is a shed tooth? I've been on the hunt for a really nice Carch tooth for a while but never trust my knowledge enough to pull the trigger on something! 

stay on this forum long enough, surround yourself with people who have more knowledge, learn and read, and you will find a very nice tooth. 
It will be costly , the good stuff is rare, and sells in a blink of an eye. 

• I found this Informative 1