Tooth + bones in matrix

Newground69

Hi guys, I am starting a tooth collection and would like to know if you see red flags on this. Are the bones added to the matrix ?
Thanks for your answers

bottom.jpg

front.jpg

right.jpg

zoom.jpg

zoom2.jpg

back.jpg

Edited by Newground69

To me, it looks like the root to the tooth has been added. There are many others here that are much better at spotting fakes than I. But, when I see one this is added then it's reasonable to assume other things have as well. 

• Thank You 1

On 6/13/2022 at 8:30 PM, Captcrunch227 said:

To me, it looks like the root to the tooth has been added

I doubt it, its look natural to me where crown ends. I don't see any reason why they would add it in this piece. I think teeth is original 

Personally I would get the tooth out of the matrix also. 

Do you have some more provenance? It appears to be a plesiosaur of some kind, with some jaw fragments. Could be wrong 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Yep, seems to be plesiosaur tooth from Agadir.

I don't own it but was interested in getting a plesiosaur tooth and liked this piece because of the matrix with bones (if it's all real).

13 minutes ago, Newground69 said:

Yep, seems to be plesiosaur tooth from Agadir.

I don't own it but was interested in getting a plesiosaur tooth and liked this piece because of the matrix with bones (if it's all real).

For what I see it's all real. They are fairly common tooth to find, with the bone fragments inside it makes an interesting piece

• Thank You 1

This sort of fossil is fairly common. 

Moroccan Plesiosaur or Mosasaur tooth on matrix with fish bones etc. 

I have often wondered if these are as they are found, or composited to make them more saleable ?? 

Perhaps @Tidgy's Dad could shed further light ?? 

• Thank You 2

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

Looks like a lovely piece.  I really like fossils in matrix!  I would personally leave it there.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2022 at 2:47 PM, Yoda said:

I have often wondered if these are as they are found, or composited to make them more saleable ?? 

Mostly these are sold as found, though some fiddling has been known to occur. with regards to roots and placing things in a nice matrix.

This one looks good to me. :Smiling:

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png