Three odd ones...eggs or what?

Petrified

I can't really give time frames on these but odd they are.  The first 2 items are odd maybe eggs?  The last item can't figure out because has black hair in object.  The first two are seven centimeters.  Last other one is five centimeters.  Inputs and of course enjoy.  Thanks. 

The first picture was supposed to be fourth picture ugh.

received_439441834682136.jpeg

received_2300266203459288.jpeg

received_757082569059173.jpeg

received_546546320477394.jpeg

received_1121938712078439.jpeg

received_1435132876913343.jpeg

received_717333712930959.jpeg

received_2574151429384386.jpeg

received_1079132149355416.jpeg

Definition of a fossil= Love at first site.

Sandstone with some breaks and cracks, I think. 

• I Agree 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• JohnJ changed the title to Three odd ones...eggs or what?

The first one that is red with white inside the red area in a very weird sense of way feels like a rubber bouncy ball in red areas.  The second one has enlongated matter sticking out on end of stone.  Last one has odd black hair follickle inside.  Plus the cracks not fimiliar with a cracking sandstone yet solid.  Explanations in why on items help understand what one is seeing or whatever.

Edited by Petrified

The white inside number one is broken quartz crystals. I have no idea how a rubber bouncy ball would relate to this type of rock. You mean you can compress it ? 

The second one is not clear from the photos that you have provided. But it may be roots or other plant matter that has inserted itself along a crack or bedding plane. 

Third one, anything can get in cracks after they have formed. I have spent happy days examining my own hairs retrieved from cracks in a rock.

Edited by Tidgy's Dad
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I agree with Adam.

• Thank You 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

The white inside number one is broken quartz crystals. I have no idea how a rubber bouncy ball would relate to this type of rock. You mean you can compress it ? 

The second one is not clear from the photos that you have provided. But it may be roots or other plant matter that has inserted itself along a crack or bedding plane. 

Third one, anything can get in cracks after they have formed. I have spent happy days examining my own hairs retrieved from cracks in a rock.

The rubber ball feeling meaning no it's not compressible but feels like one in areas.  Like a rubber like material feel.  I'll take your word for the other two.  But first one that took three pics of has some weird snarge going on with it.  Closley examine photos and you'll see areas smooth on there.  That are the areas that feel weird.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, Petrified said:

The rubber ball feeling meaning no it's not compressible but feels like one in areas.  Like a rubber like material feel.  I'll take your word for the other two.  But first one that took three pics of has some weird snarge going on with it.  Closley examine photos and you'll see areas smooth on there.  That are the areas that feel weird.  Thanks.

If it feels like its kind of compressible or maleable in areas then its probably a concretion of naturally occurring tar and sandstone.

This looks like an iron sandstone mix. That first picture looks like stuff I see everyday around here in the Woodbine formation

1 hour ago, Captcrunch227 said:

This looks like an iron sandstone mix. That first picture looks like stuff I see everyday around here in the Woodbine formation

It was the stuff sticking out of end that caught me off guard.  Otherwise would of tossed it right away.  But after all the replys and information all three are labeled as junk lol.  I need to go back to plants everything else is a headache and a half.  Learning but slowly in that area but will get there just need to be more interested in it.  If interested I learn real quick but not as interested as I should be at the moment.  Just a phase.  Oh well thanks everyone.

Hi Petrified,

you found a stone that stuck out from the ones around it, you took a close look at it and described what you saw, you learned something. Just that it is no fossil egg (which are exceedingly rare) does not mean its junk. Ironstone concretions are not rare, and they are among the most common pseudofossils to get asked about on the forum. But they are often interestingly shaped and nicely  coloured. I have collected many just because I liked their look. Plants are great, but dont turn your back on the stones just because the ones you found yet are not museum stuff. They may look good in a garden or flowerpot, like mine do.

Best Regards,

J

• Enjoyed 3

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

We are numerous here to have gathered concretions or other things beleiving they were fossils.

• I Agree 2

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

In memory of Doren

11 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

Hi Petrified,

you found a stone that stuck out from the ones around it, you took a close look at it and described what you saw, you learned something. Just that it is no fossil egg (which are exceedingly rare) does not mean its junk. Ironstone concretions are not rare, and they are among the most common pseudofossils to get asked about on the forum. But they are often interestingly shaped and nicely  coloured. I have collected many just because I liked their look. Plants are great, but dont turn your back on the stones just because the ones you found yet are not museum stuff. They may look good in a garden or flowerpot, like mine do.

Best Regards,

J

Thanks yeah I keep all oddities.  Sometimes get lucky that it's more than an oddity.  I collect mostly plants for 90% of area around here is Carboniferous.  Some areas devonian and some in 10,000 yr range hence petrified wood for it takes 10,000 yrs to petrify.  But going gold panning in areas of drift material has me stumped on materials for it's not something I usually come across.  Sadly I couldn't put an age on that stuff for glacial deposit hit area twice 10,000 and 70,000 yrs ago.  New ball game but will get the hang of it.  Just got to listen and learn for I can be very stubborn when I'm sick for my head isn't clear.  Thanks.  

10 hours ago, fifbrindacier said:

We are numerous here to have gathered concretions or other things beleiving they were fossils.

Pareidolia is a word I know all too well it should be a cuss word because once you realize that something isn't then of course a cuss word comes next.  Lol

• Enjoyed 3

Ah, ok, didnt realize you talked about fossil plants.

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

16 hours ago, Petrified said:

Pareidolia is a word I know all too well it should be a cuss word because once you realize that something isn't then of course a cuss word comes next.  Lol

I don't understand why you're so negative, no-one here would use i'll mannered words to speak about pareidolia.

Of course,.you're firstly can be disappointed, but after, you find it funny.

In memory of Doren

3 minutes ago, fifbrindacier said:

I don't understand why you're so negative, no-one here would use i'll mannered words to speak about pareidolia.

Of course,.you're firstly can be disappointed, but after, you find it funny.

It was an attempt at humour, as may be indicated by the internet acronym “lol” (= “laugh out loud”). The being disappointed at first and subsequently finding humour in the situation is implied by the “lol.”

• Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 hours ago, Kane said:

It was an attempt at humour, as may be indicated by the internet acronym “lol” (= “laugh out loud”). The being disappointed at first and subsequently finding humour in the situation is implied by the “lol.”

Thanks for clearing that up.  

20 hours ago, Petrified said:

Thanks for clearing that up.  

Sorry man, i didn't know what the word cuss meant so i looked on a dictionnary.:i_am_so_happy:

• Thank You 1

In memory of Doren