hokietech96

I hope everyone is doing well. Was on the beach today in NJ and I found what I think is a juvenile great white. I think it is worn because there is no serrations. My question at what point do great whites get serrations?  I’m assuming it’s right from the beginning?

F689CB5A-78A1-4B1D-B496-05E0D4F28378.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

9 hours ago, cck said:

Hastalis perhaps? 

Thanks for the feedback. The beaches in Southern NJ are more modern and hastalis would not be found on these beaches. I still leaning towards a worn great white. 

Hi Mark, looks like a Mako to me.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

On 6/18/2022 at 6:49 AM, hokietech96 said:

Thanks for the feedback. The beaches in Southern NJ are more modern and hastalis would not be found on these beaches. I still leaning towards a worn great white. 

Yeah, it looks pretty worn.  It could be a great white (Carcharodon carcharias) if you find only Pleistocene fossils washing up.  C. hastalis teeth have been found in Early Pliocene localities but you find more great whites.  That is the shape of perhaps the first upper lateral of either a C. carcharias or C. hastalis.  Odds are it's a great white

8 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Can you see any evidence of serrations under high magnification?

That is too funny I was just doing that.  I thinks it possibility that its GW.  So worn.

Snapshot@2022_0620_111810.jpg.4b5fc3d8102fe55b2f40c6d9151bce92.jpgSnapshot@2022_0620_111922.jpg.aa9821cdd7e370ad65b60f077d64c757.jpg  Snapshot@2022_0620_111715.jpg.5d257dbab204e96e67ad43aa9aa0ebdb.jpg

20 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Hi Mark, looks like a Mako to me.

9 hours ago, siteseer said:

Yeah, it looks pretty worn.  It could be a great white (Carcharodon carcharias) if you find only Pleistocene fossils washing up.  C. hastalis teeth have been found in Early Pliocene localities but you find more great whites.  That is the shape of perhaps the first upper lateral of either a C. carcharias or C. hastalis.  Odds are it's a great white

Thanks for the feedback.  It's ashame it is so worn but finding shark teeth on a south Jersey beach does not happnen to frequently.  I did find some sand tiger teeth as well.  I will take what I can get!

Awesome find! Don’t rule out other ages though as sometimes Cretaceous and Devonian fossils make their way to the shore of NJ! 

That first photo, although not lit enough or in focus way may show signs of serrations.  If thats the case the rest of the morphology says GW

46 minutes ago, Troodon said:

That first photo, although not lit enough or in focus way may show signs of serrations.  If thats the case the rest of the morphology says GW

Thanks for the feedback.  My setup is not the greatest but I think it is GW.