Fossil ID Help Pls— Found in Wilson County, TX (CIBILO CREEK)

MyGodMagma

Trying to help a friend ID this find from Cibilo Creek in Wilson County, Texas; as It appears to be not-coral and bigger than a US quarter, it is automatically far (FARRR) outside of my wheelhouse, I probably know more about the crackers.

Thx for taking the time to give this an eyeballing; anything that anyone can share towards making this ID is enormously appreciated.

76C5E6ED-2F80-4343-AC97-9D55E943CD62.jpeg

39984530-86A0-425F-85B6-66D59FE8AF4D.jpeg

0BD7A0E4-142D-4508-8193-6EDF1A617395.png

74758FD2-361E-4E30-B08A-B273FACDAE10.webp

"Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he.

Watson and Holmes in "The Crooked Man" ~ Conan Doyle

Looks like a large mammal lumbar vertebrae. Bison lumbar verts are similar so it may be that but I'm not familiar with the differences in isolated lumbar vertebrae between Bison and other possible candidates, such as horse.

Some things that might help narrow it down:

First, more pictures of all parts of the vertebrae taken straight down (camera facing down) on a flat surface. It can be hard to make out details when the photos are taken at angles like this.

Second, an actual scale will be helpful. I'm somewhat familiar with the size of a Lance cracker pack but it is a bit harder to imagine than a ruler or actual posted measurements which might be necessary to identify.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1