Potential Polypore Mushroom Fossil

henry david

This is an interesting one, it has the structure of some modern polypore mushrooms, but with larger pores, the growth pattern on the top seems similar to the layer underneath the outer shell on a ganoderma applanatum, and the size and shape is consistent with that mushroom. Any ideas or identification tips? I appreciate any response.

Please tell us exactly where you found this. What stratigraphy does it originate from? What were the circumstances of discovery?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Not a mushroom, but possibly a coral or bryozoan.

• I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I found this very near to Guttenberg Iowa, walking next to a river with many stones.

In and around Guttenberg is Platteville, Decorah and Galena rock strata. They are all Ordovician layers formed from  a large sea that covered the area. Mushrooms were definitely NOT part of the flora.  Looks coral like to me, similar to Favosites. I don't find Favosites often in the Ordovician of Iowa. It is more commonly found in the Devonian further west of you. At least you can explore the coral possibilities and put mushroom on the back shelf

Mike

The Honeycomb coral, Favosites (1816) Phylum : Cnidaria Class : Anthozoa Order : Tabulata Family : Favositidae Genus : Favosites • Ordovician/Permian • Oceans worldwide (map) Favosites is an extinct genus of tabulate coral characterized by polygonal...From The Evolution of Life on Earth

• I Agree 1