Partial 'Megaloceros giganteus' Jaw: I'd Love to Learn More about It...

JamieC7696

This is a partial 'Megaloceros giganteus' jaw I recently bought, which I'd love to learn more about - but especially the following:

1. Is it actually from Megaloceros, or - indeed - another mammal?

2. Can we tell how mature the animal was when it died?

3. Is the jaw a composite at all?

4. How are such fossils prepared for sale after being found: i.e., I'm especially curious to learn about whether paint and/or glue are applied - and, if so, what would it have looked like before such preparation, upon its discovery?

20220624_210415.jpg

20220624_211911.jpg

20220624_211041.jpg

20220624_211456.jpg

20220624_210553.jpg

1.  I don't know this species well enough to comment.

2.  Maturity of mammals can be reasonably gleaned from the wear on the teeth.  I don't know how many examples of this particular species or what has been published though.  Your piece is certainly an adult as the last molar is erupted.

3.  Nothing screams composite at me, I would suspect it to be a single jaw fragment.  I don't see any obvious reconstruction.

4.  I'm not sure how these are found, but the glossiness/shininess of the piece implies it was coated with some glue/varnish/etc.

Compare to my Megaloceros jaw . This right mandible is in pretty good condition. It also is coated with a protective sealant. Mine was dredged from the North sea. Also added a picture of the grinding surface.

20220624_204934.jpg

20220624_204943.jpg

• Enjoyed 2