Is it from a horse?

ftlcgi

Can somebody help me identify this?

I have this bad scan of a fossil found near the river, it seems like a horse jaw, or a Megaloceros

Here is where i found it

This is a tooth that came out
20200524_091341.thumb.jpg.ba00f179191a694adf96215948590979.jpg

Nearby on the same river bank i found lots of fossil bones from Mammuthus meridionalis, Megaloceras, a bovine scull and i donated them to the museum, here is a photo with some of the bones on display in the Bucharest Geology museum.

340900677_1656685888415(1).thumb.JPEG.64a7e809b83bd45f08c6e087e0ebd026.JPEG

Edited by ftlcgi
  • Enjoyed 5
  • Thank You 1

• digit changed the title to Is it from a horse?

The site was a natural trap for large fauna that was crossing the river, there were at least two mammoths, some scattered Megaloceros bones, a bovine (probably an auroch). The paleontologist said that she is going to write a paper about them in 2010 but i lost contact with her.

Is there a way i can find the paper published? I tried paleobiodb and mindat but i only found other sites in nearby regions.

Edited by ftlcgi
  • I found this Informative 1

If you can give me some keywords that might appear in the paper I can try search in ResearchGate to see if I can locate it.

Cheers.

-Ken

The town nearby is called Adunatii Copaceni, in the Ilfov County in Romania, the river is called Arges

The mammoth is definitely meridionalis but saw a tag on one of the bones when they were added in the musum, they say it's from an elephas antiquus

I dont remember the name of the paleontologist

Edited by ftlcgi

7 minutes ago, digit said:

Here seem to be two papers that might be of interest from the region.

That's it, thank you very much. I've been trying to find it for years

• Enjoyed 1

Then it's your lucky day. ;)

This will probably reconnect you with the researcher and you might find that a valuable resource going forward.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 3

13 hours ago, digit said:

If you can give me some keywords that might appear in the paper I can try search in ResearchGate to see if I can locate it.

Cheers.

-Ken

11 hours ago, digit said:

Then it's your lucky day. ;)

This will probably reconnect you with the researcher and you might find that a valuable resource going forward.

Cheers.

-Ken

The internet at its finest.

Wonderful story and an  . . .  absolute fine bit of research.  Nice work Ken.  I think your friend from Romania will be forever grateful.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Clarity of meaning and brevity                                                                                                                                         ~                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Nothing endures but change.  ~ Heraclitus  (c.535 - 475 BC)                                                                                                                   

Nice work, Ken.  You made the Fossil Forum look a little better today than it already did.

Jess

• I Agree 2

Sharing information about fossils is the foundation of this forum. I don't have deep knowledge of many types of fossils but I do have sources of information. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 2