Spinosaurus tooth - any issues?

bubbleobill

I new to collecting and recently received this Spinosaurus tooth from a dealer who has a great reputation online. It was not a particularly expensive tooth and although the crown appeared to be in good condition from the dealer listing (and no repairs/restoration work was listed) the root has me a little suspect. No alarm bells from the listing photos but now that I have it in my hand and can see it from all angles, it got me wondering.

The first couple of attachments are the dealers listing photos. The rest of the photos are mine. The main thing that has me curious is the colour visible in parts of the tooth, especially the root - the white is very white in areas, and I dunno how to describe it, just not quite 'right'. I've included photos of the area on the root that looks a bit fishy to me (mind you due to lighting conditions this doesn't come across as white in the photos as it does to my eye) and then also some damage on the crown where you see the same tone of white - some from a chip on the edge of the tooth, and also at the tip.

The dealer does accept returns, just wondering if there is actually anything suspect with this or not? I am a total novice so I may be seeing problems that aren't really problems at all, just wanted to check. 

Cheers

Spino1.JPG

Spino2.JPG

Crown1.JPG

Crown2.JPG

Root1.JPG

Root2.JPG

Root3.JPG

Root4.JPG

Very nice genuine spinosaur tooth. No red flags. The tooth was broken at the tip and reglued though, it’s a real tooth.

Regards 

1 hour ago, DatFossilBoy said:

Very nice genuine spinosaur tooth. No red flags. The tooth was broken at the tip and reglued though, it’s a real tooth.

Regards 

Thanks for the info. I guess the quite ‘clean’ white in the tooth around the root and under the crown enamel (shown in the pics where there is damage to the crown) caught me off guard a bit. 

Although fwiw, this one is not far off 3”.

This is a normal Spinosaurid tooth. No red flags. White is normal. It is what your tooth will look like if you would cut in half. 

I believe it's a color of a certain fossilization , some have slightly different colors.

You did not list its size? I think this tooth is just under 2inches 50mm . Nm I just read its 3inch 

Overal fine tooth. 

Please remember that prices should not be part of the discussion.  Thanks.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

7 hours ago, Phos_01 said:

This is a normal Spinosaurid tooth. No red flags. White is normal. It is what your tooth will look like if you would cut in half. 

I believe it's a color of a certain fossilization , some have slightly different colors.

You did not list its size? I think this tooth is just under 2inches 50mm . Nm I just read its 3inch 

Overal fine tooth. 

Thanks for the info, good to know the white is normal! Cheers

6 hours ago, mr.cheese said:

You can always ask in here before you buy, so don't be shy! 

Yeah next time I will, for sure!