Not an obvious fake, bones appear 3d although the lines one either side of the abdomen look painted to me. Would love a little input from others before I buy.

Seller's has another keich with bones slightly laterally displaced at a crack (which is something that would happen with real fossils but probably wouldn't be done with a fabrication).

923716038_s-l1600(2).png

1487195049_s-l1600(1).png

s-l1600.png

Edited by JBkansas

I've always stayed away from these because I can't really tell for sure what is fake from pictures.  However, if you blow up the pictures, the humerus bones in the front legs are noticeably different in length.  That would bother me.

Marco Sr.

• I Agree 1

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

if you are unsure try to remove the color

most of them are prepped with engravers and bones go lost

good bones are visible, you can see the internal structure when the engraver works to deep..

• I found this Informative 1

The seller listed another keich with a missing tail after a break in the matrix, said it turned out to be painted on when he tested it so he removed it. Seems to be a legit dealer with the standard quality wire brush prep keiches.

Edited by JBkansas

44 minutes ago, rocket said:

if you are unsure try to remove the color

most of them are prepped with engravers and bones go lost

good bones are visible, you can see the internal structure when the engraver works to deep..

I was wondering what the spots that looked like matrix were in the bones, guessing those are areas the grinder cut into the marrow (or through the bone altogether).

I dont see any red flags on the specimen.   The arms and legs are similar.  The prep is not the best as is the preservation and you might have some paint on the digits and skull hard to tell, need closeup photos.

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

In my opinion the keichou looks real, I follow Troodon in his assessment

Many on the market, not necessary to fake them. But I agree, prep is low

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

I dont see any red flags on the specimen.   The arms and legs are similar.  The prep is not the best as is the preservation and you might have some paint on the digits and skull hard to tell, need closeup photos.

Frank

When I blow up the picture of the specimen a  bit, I don't see rib ends in the total lengths where the red arrows point, I see what looks like blobs of paint.  I also see other places like in the digits that look painted and bones that don't look right (maybe gauged by poor prepping).  So this piece definitely seems to display restoration to me.  Am I looking at this incorrectly?

1835744004_keichousaurus1.thumb.jpg.ae24d66f3c73a01164138182f08256fa.jpg

Marco Sr.

• Thank You 1

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

1 hour ago, MarcoSr said:

Frank

When I blow up the picture of the specimen a  bit, I don't see rib ends in the total lengths where the red arrows point, I see what looks like blobs of paint.  I also see other places like in the digits that look painted and bones that don't look right (maybe gauged by poor prepping).  So this piece definitely seems to display restoration to me.  Am I looking at this incorrectly?

1835744004_keichousaurus1.thumb.jpg.ae24d66f3c73a01164138182f08256fa.jpg

Marco Sr.

You're correct that does look odd, had not observed that feature.  Not sure what to make of it but could be as you indicated.   Boy these are tough call when your only looking at them through photos and not hand inspecting.  

• Thank You 1

I thought that could be the rib ends but it seems odd that they'd all line up like that.

I agree, this is reall but very poorly prepared (like a lot of the real Keichousaurus fossils you see).

-Micah

• I found this Informative 1

There must be something about keiches that make them prone to poor prep, the seller has pieces that look like they could be in a museum (one reptile skeleton had teeth and patches of scales) and all his keiches look like the same normal poor prep.

2146463900_s-l1600(3).png

819211720_s-l1600(4).png

Edited by JBkansas

15 hours ago, JBkansas said:

There must be something about keiches that make them prone to poor prep, the seller has pieces that look like they could be in a museum (one reptile skeleton had teeth and patches of scales) and all his keiches look like the same normal poor prep.

2146463900_s-l1600(3).png

819211720_s-l1600(4).png

Is it the Keichousaur's fault they are prone to poor prep or is it that humans have discovered a trove of well preserved fossils, yet decided to maximize profits by doing a botch prep job for the international fossil market? I think our perception is that we are buying a priceless natural treasure, but the participants in the fossil trade bringing this specimen to you would regard it as a commodity by which they can feed their families. I am at a loss to make a moral judgment, but there are always more than 1 side to the story.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1