Any idea what this is from?

prehistoricpeasant

I can assure you it is fossilized bone it just doesn’t look like it in the pictures because of how dirty parts of it are and the bad camera quality.  It’s about 3 pounds 5.5 inches long and 4 inches wide. horseshoe canyon AB

E4A8ED2C-5402-424C-89F8-2220E9EF2FF7.jpeg

F24FCE0E-19E6-4B7E-A8EF-EE68117B836A.jpeg

F804C020-D8C8-4828-9A64-1D7D0BF73BE9.jpeg

4552FD52-7229-4B20-AD4A-5B9232B8395F.jpeg

Please post scale photos, and text inside the post, not just the title. It is much easier to read, and quotable, this way.

If it is muddy, clean it before taking photos - as of now, I do not see any features that would distinguish this as bone instead of rock. ;)

• I Agree 5

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

The bottom of the object in the fourth photo *might* indicate bone but the photos are rather worthless to my eye.  Looks like a rock, especially the crack in #1,2,3.

• I Agree 1

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Any idea what this is from?

If you can at least provide definite photographic proof that this is bone, then it may be possible for someone to get at least an idea what it might be from. All I'm seeing here so far is a dirty rock.

• I Agree 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

12 hours ago, prehistoricpeasant said:

I can assure you it is fossilized bone it just doesn’t look like it in the pictures because of how dirty parts of it are and the bad camera quality. 

It’s hard (and sometimes impossible) to make any kind of identification using only pictures, but pictures are all we have to go by here on the forum. The better the quality picture, the easier it is for us to help at identification. You admitted yourself that we wouldn’t even be able to tell it was bone because the specimen is dirty and the camera quality is poor. So how can we even guess at an ID? Shape alone is not enough of a diagnostic feature. 

Unfortunately your pictures do not assure us of anything right now. Clean it up as best you can without damaging the specimen, then take some decent well lit photos. We might be able to help then.

Help us to help you! :)

• I Agree 3

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)